Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Care HELP!

art_iz_d3ad

Reaction score
Hi, I have just taken over care of my younger brothers axolotl. She was bought when he was a child and honestly I don't know how she has survived this long. She's at least 5 years old and has been living in a 20-somthing liter tank for the past year, on gravel and with no hides :(
I can't fault my brother as he is literally a child and was not told anything useful by the pet shop where we got her from, literally was told she's exactly the same as a fish...
I've decided to take over the care of her and have tried my hardest to find as much research and information possible and have literally spent $400 on supplies that should hopefully be showing up next week.

First off I got her a new tank, a Hailea K60 which comes with an internal filter. (I would like to also get a sponge filter in the future, can it be hooked up to the internal filter or do I need a seperate air pump?) I also bought some hides, fine silica sand for substrate, some fake plants, a thermometer, food pellets and some frozen cubes, an API Master Test Kit, A gravel cleaner (which i read can be used to clean waste until I can get a turkey baster or similar), Aqua One water conditioner to dechlorinate and Seachem Stability and Prime.

I have a few questions. First off if anyone can give me a simple rundown of just basic care information etc. just so I can double check my info.

Secondly. How do I introduce her to the new tank? She's been living in her current one for around a year, with a hang back filter that has a sponge media etc. inside it and gravel for her substrate, honestly I think the poor girl has had water changes maybe monthly if that :( before that tank she lived in a smaller! acrylic tank that came with her. I have read about cycling but my brother did none of that when he changed her over before, just put everything from the old tank into the new tank.

I honestly dont want to leave her in her current tank for any longer than possible so how would I go about getting the new tank liveable in the fastest way. I've heard that you can immediately transfer an axolotl into a new tank if you transfer the filter and substrate too, would that be ok? Eventually I want to get rid of the gravel but if it has BB on it I would like to wait awhile.

Any information possible would be appreciated, thank you!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site!
I think the easiest way to move her would be to get the new tank up and running, then after a few days to let it settle and fully dechlorinate move her and the hang on filter at the same time. As long as you're careful not to over feed and keep a close eye on the water quality with the test kits you should be fine with that set up until the new filter media matures, then obviously the hang on can be removed. I do think you'll need an air pump for the sponge filter if that's what you decide to use.

Here is anexcellent article on Axolotl care from Caudata Culture.
www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_mexicanum.shtml

It sounds like you have all the right stuff there to keep her happy and healthy once she settles in, I'm not familiar with that brand of tank/filter but I'd just make sure there isn't too much water movement from the internal filter. Axies hate water currents, so if there is the flow can be diffused with some filter sponge over the outlet.
Hope this helps. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!