Axolotl Check

Chibisora

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I’m new to the forum (*wave*). Last November we got a baby axolotl after years of promising my son we would - we had just lost our dog after 13 years. It is our first and he/she had thrived and grown massive! I was wondering if I could post some pictures just to make sure he/she is healthy? I’m pretty sure it’s a boy as the bump behind it’s hind legs is quite big. He eats pellets and earthworms and enjoys the odd bloodworm when I’m feeding them to the fish. The water parameters are always at normal range - and temp is between 19-22 degrees Celsius. We are in summer here (Northern Ireland summers are not that warm), so if his water creeps past 22 we run a fan on the surface - which cools it nicely. I don’t use substrate of any kind - we tried using slate but he wouldn’t walk on it 😂, he has a nice dark cave but not much else as he likes doing laps and I don’t want to hinder his movements. He wasn’t interested in the hammock I put in and we had a few plants but without substrate to plant them in they didn’t do well.

We are absolutely in love with him and want to do our best to keep him (I think) happy. Any advice would be great.

Meet Pixel 😊 DC51E7CC-F4EE-4D12-9854-1BA6D634FC71.jpeg4FF62B59-1C97-4587-88DE-6D9C5BE9AA44.jpeg29DB651C-EC9A-4C36-BB6F-20DBD86BEC41.jpeg3AFEAB06-B010-4C54-9EE9-7317C3181EE3.jpeg89502384-ACAA-410D-8F14-95586318CB8F.jpeg06440497-D89D-4CD9-9577-3224FBAC3DEA.jpeg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back