Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Doesn’t Eat (Day 2)

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
Hello people of Caudata. My axolotl hasn’t been eating and is getting pretty skinny. I’ve read on another site to force feed the axolotls, and I’ve tried to but to no prevail. She/He lost some slime coat and I am wondering if anybody can tell me if I should do anything. I am very concern and don’t want her/him to die. They have been pooping, and swims actively. Only thing that has changed is that I got another axolotl, yet the new axolotl hasn’t been doing anything to harm Arp. Is there any precautions I should take now that Arp has lost a bit of her slime coat? Any help/replies is very helpful!

(All water- Ammonia, Nirite, Nitrates, ETC is normal)

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
First, if possible, I would separate the two or get a tank divider till you can get Arp eating again.

Second, when you feed him, how and what do you feed him? When I feed my girl, I coax her to the spot I want and drop one pellet at a time, aiming for her eyes, and she instinctually bites at the pellet and there we go. I do that with worms and any other feed. Sometimes I will put her in her tub and feed her there, so the food has only like 4-5 inches to sink above her, rather than the 12-14 inches in her normal tank.

I have no idea why Arp is losing his slime coat. Do you have any photos? I think if you can get him to eat, his slime coat will come back no problem.

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
First, if possible, I would separate the two or get a tank divider till you can get Arp eating again.

Second, when you feed him, how and what do you feed him? When I feed my girl, I coax her to the spot I want and drop one pellet at a time, aiming for her eyes, and she instinctually bites at the pellet and there we go. I do that with worms and any other feed. Sometimes I will put her in her tub and feed her there, so the food has only like 4-5 inches to sink above her, rather than the 12-14 inches in her normal tank.

I have no idea why Arp is losing his slime coat. Do you have any photos? I think if you can get him to eat, his slime coat will come back no problem.
I sometimes feed him/her pellets, since I’ve haven’t been able to get any worms yet. Arp also eats shrimp. Yes i can get photos, but they haven’t lost a lot

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Can't get worms yet? Just curious what's stopping you? I had a hard time getting mine worms when the lockdowns all hit last year and now since I don't have a fridge, I can't keep them. Still waiting on the new fridge to arrive.

I know how hard it is caring for a pet sometimes, I'm glad he's eating. How many pellets have you been able to get down? And I noticed that the gender has yet to be determined, the irony is mine axolotl's name is Darwin, and she's definitely a she now lol.

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
Can't get worms yet? Just curious what's stopping you? I had a hard time getting mine worms when the lockdowns all hit last year and now since I don't have a fridge, I can't keep them. Still waiting on the new fridge to arrive.

I know how hard it is caring for a pet sometimes, I'm glad he's eating. How many pellets have you been able to get down? And I noticed that the gender has yet to be determined, the irony is mine axolotl's name is Darwin, and she's definitely a she now lol.
Well the thing is, worms are quite expensive. I really don’t want to spend as much money, because I an only a younger teen. I do not have any income and I was planning to get worms as soon as I could get my own income, and not spend my parents money-

JM29

Reaction score
Unless the soil is deep frozen in your state, can't you collect yourself some earthworms outdoors for free ?

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Unless the soil is deep frozen in your state, can't you collect yourself some earthworms outdoors for free ?
This is not advisable because, even if you/your family do not use pesticides on your grass, other families nearby may. These can get inside the worms and then to the axolotl, which could kill it.

Only thing that has changed is that I got another axolotl, yet the new axolotl hasn’t been doing anything to harm Arp. Is there any precautions I should take now that Arp has lost a bit of her slime coat? Any help/replies is very helpful!
(All water- Ammonia, Nirite, Nitrates, ETC is normal)

Axolotls are not very sociable creatures and often prefer to be housed alone (though there are exceptions). It could be that the one is stressed out from having the other nearby. As mentioned above, please consider housing them in two separate 20-gallon long tanks (minimum recommended tank size for a single axolotl).

Well the thing is, worms are quite expensive. I really don’t want to spend as much money, because I an only a younger teen. I do not have any income and I was planning to get worms as soon as I could get my own income, and not spend my parents money-
Worms can also be bought online. I haven't used them myself, but I've heard excellent reviews of Uncle Jim's Worm Farm. Also, I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but if you don't have the resources to properly care for a pet and give it the life it deserves, you shouldn't have one. Period. You obviously care about them though, or you wouldn't be posting on here. Maybe you can look into responsibly rehoming these animals until you are able to give them the care they deserve.

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
This is not advisable because, even if you/your family do not use pesticides on your grass, other families nearby may. These can get inside the worms and then to the axolotl, which could kill it.

Only thing that has changed is that I got another axolotl, yet the new axolotl hasn’t been doing anything to harm Arp. Is there any precautions I should take now that Arp has lost a bit of her slime coat? Any help/replies is very helpful!

Axolotls are not very sociable creatures and often prefer to be housed alone (though there are exceptions). It could be that the one is stressed out from having the other nearby. As mentioned above, please consider housing them in two separate 20-gallon long tanks (minimum recommended tank size for a single axolotl).

Worms can also be bought online. I haven't used them myself, but I've heard excellent reviews of Uncle Jim's Worm Farm. Also, I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but if you don't have the resources to properly care for a pet and give it the life it deserves, you shouldn't have one. Period. You obviously care about them though, or you wouldn't be posting on here. Maybe you can look into responsibly rehoming these animals until you are able to give them the care they deserve.
I am still trying my hardest to care for them, and I have them separated already. Arp has been going back to eating as well. I’ll try what you‘ve said. Though I have been trying to get worms for them.

JM29

Reaction score
As you've probably noticed, I'm in France and I have no problem to find healthy nightcrawlers to feed my caudates.
I'm sorry to read that there is no secure place in your neighbourhood to collect earthworms.

Before buying expensive worms, I hope you'll demand them to be free of pesticides and other trace elements (with proofs, not only allegations).
Be also cautious to the species these worms belong to. Red wigglers are not well accepted by all the axolotls, contrary to nightcrawlers.

Last edited:

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score

I wouldn't trust the worms out of Pennsylvania's soil. We were one of the more polluted US states for years, till like 1990s. There's still a creek by me that glows in the dark green from all the chemicals stuck in the water. A lot of our fish are not exactly safe to eat, so I wouldn't trust gathering earthworms for an axolotl.

@ArpTheAxolotl

Yeah, it's hard to afford what you need when you're young, I'm sorry. The job market isn't great right now either so even if you are able to work, the options are slim. Plus our state's minimum wage is a joke.

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust the worms out of Pennsylvania's soil. We were one of the more polluted US states for years, till like 1990s. There's still a creek by me that glows in the dark green from all the chemicals stuck in the water. A lot of our fish are not exactly safe to eat, so I wouldn't trust gathering earthworms for an axolotl.

@ArpTheAxolotl

Yeah, it's hard to afford what you need when you're young, I'm sorry. The job market isn't great right now either so even if you are able to work, the options are slim. Plus our state's minimum wage is a joke.
Yep it is, indeed. I have been given bloodworms to feed arp and Aru, but they don’t eat much of that. They have still been eating/prefering shrimp a lot more than the blood worms-
also, Aru is eating like a pig, and Arp has started to eat like two days ago

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!