Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl doesn't seem to be interested in eating

Timage

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to axolotls. I have had my little guy(or girl?) for about 2 weeks. He just doesn't seem interested in eating, and he is getting a little skinny (we have only seen his eat once). I have tried Frozen(thawed) bloodworms, living earthworms(cut into small pieces) and soft pellets(also cut to make sure that they are not too big). His water temp is good (65) and all the water levels are good. The water is a little cloudy but the ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are all in check. He is not floating(or spending time at the surface), his gills are not curled forward, and his tail is not curled. I don't think the water flow is too much as his gills don't move or wiggle around while he is holding still. He has places to hide(though he does not hide much) and no tank mates. I have tried putting the worms in a dish for him and have also tried to put them in front of his nose with tweezers(he will hold still, then swim away). Any other ideas? Other food I should try? Other ways to feed him? I have a worm cone being delivered today to try also. Thanks in advance!

JM29

Reaction score
Daphnias can be a stimulating food for axolotls of all sizes, but I'm afraid they are not compatible with a filter.
They can be found easily in spring (if you live not too far from a pond)

wolfen

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to axolotls. I have had my little guy(or girl?) for about 2 weeks. He just doesn't seem interested in eating, and he is getting a little skinny (we have only seen his eat once). I have tried Frozen(thawed) bloodworms, living earthworms(cut into small pieces) and soft pellets(also cut to make sure that they are not too big). His water temp is good (65) and all the water levels are good. The water is a little cloudy but the ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are all in check. He is not floating(or spending time at the surface), his gills are not curled forward, and his tail is not curled. I don't think the water flow is too much as his gills don't move or wiggle around while he is holding still. He has places to hide(though he does not hide much) and no tank mates. I have tried putting the worms in a dish for him and have also tried to put them in front of his nose with tweezers(he will hold still, then swim away). Any other ideas? Other food I should try? Other ways to feed him? I have a worm cone being delivered today to try also. Thanks in advance!
how long has the tank been running, sounds like bacteria bloom in a new tank.
feed at night time leaving the food over night. they are mostly nocturnal.
if he/she is very small then live food is more stimulating. live bloodworm, live daphnia, live brine shrimp
if he/she is a juvenile/small adult then frozen/live as then will be happy eating dead as well as live. frozen bloodworm/krill/mysis/brine shrimp/chopped cockle/chopped mussel/chopped prawn, live shrimp, live fish ie.. guppies, mollys, platys, live worms
if he/she is a adult then all the above food but less frequently.
what are the actual water levels?

Timage

Reaction score
how long has the tank been running, sounds like bacteria bloom in a new tank.
feed at night time leaving the food over night. they are mostly nocturnal.
if he/she is very small then live food is more stimulating. live bloodworm, live daphnia, live brine shrimp
if he/she is a juvenile/small adult then frozen/live as then will be happy eating dead as well as live. frozen bloodworm/krill/mysis/brine shrimp/chopped cockle/chopped mussel/chopped prawn, live shrimp, live fish ie.. guppies, mollys, platys, live worms
if he/she is a adult then all the above food but less frequently.
what are the actual water levels?
The tank has been set up about 3 weeks.
Ph is 7.4, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 0.

HayleyStar7

Reaction score
Thawed out frozen brine shrimp waved in front of his face with tweezers got our axie eating again after more than a week of eating nothing. It does sound like your tank isn’t cycled and will make your axie sick if not addressed (we didn’t set ours up properly and ended up with a sick floating axie so are tubbing him now while we cycle the tank).

Timage

Reaction score
Thank you guys! We thought the tank was ready, but clearly we didn’t do it right. I have since spent a lot of time reading up on and getting to understand the cycling process. We are now keeping a very close eye on the water levels, doing partial water changes, and are prepared to tub him if he starts showing any signs of stress or if the water levels get to high.

We care very much for him and want him to be happy and comfortable. Thanks again!

(still accepting any and all tips or advice!☺️ )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1