Question: Axolotl eating plants

Shiroxzs

Reaction score
Country
Kuwait
Hello!
I’m pretty new to this site but slowly getting used to it.
I bought an axolotl a few weeks ago , it’s only months old.
Kept in an 18 gallon tank (cycled)
The day before yesterday my axolotl which I named momo ate some of the Marimo moss ball I put in the tank. After eating it his stomach became blue and kind of started bloating in seconds. I freaked out so much and didn’t know what to do so I contacted someone who owns axolotls.
They told me that the axolotl can digest it and it’ll just pass but I’m still kind of worried.
Today I fed momo (frozen bloodworms) and he ate it all but his stomach became more blue again. And he haven’t pooped ever since he ate the plant.
So I am worried and not sure what to do :/

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
Can you post a picture of Momo's belly? It could be stomach contents, or the liver. How long ago did it eat the plant? If it's been a few days without pooping you could fridge the axolotl as it could be impacted.

Shiroxzs

Reaction score
Country
Kuwait
He ate the plant last Wednesday, since then I haven’t seen any poop
I was afraid of feeding him but I thought maybe it could help him so I fed him yesterday a bit
And yesterday he ate some more of the plant as well. He then stayed in one spot and didn’t move at all for about 10 - 15 minutes.
But now he’s just swimming and moving around like normal.

Thank you for replying to me !

Attachments

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
The colouring looks okay from what I can tell. That big blob I believe is the liver. The belly does look a little distorted which could be some impaction from the plants. I would remove the plant if the axie keeps eating it. Is he accepting food from you? Try fridging for a day or two (or until the axie poops) to help it along, I can attach the guide if you need it, otherwise it is on the sick axie page on this website. Alternatively, wax worms dipped in some olive oil is supposed to help digestion.

Shiroxzs

Reaction score
Country
Kuwait
Good news!
Momo finally passed it all out.
And yes I removed the plant , he’s all better now and looking fine again.
He never stopped eating it’s his favorite thing to do CX
Thank you so much for replying to me ! ♡

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
Glad to hear! Wishing you and Momo the best :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has joined the room.