Axolotl eats only pellets

Marumellow

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and a new owner as well. I've had my axie for about a week now. He's 4 months old and generally doing well. However, there is one peculiarity: My axolotl doesn't want to eat worms.

The breeder I got him from said that he fed them 'frozen food', which I assume was bloodworm cubes, but I can't find where to buy those in my area and I also heard that at some point you want them to start eating earthworms anyway because of nutritional value. I bought and made this entire setup to breed dendrobaena worms for my axie, and ironically he now won't eat them.

What he'll do is, bite at the worm, keep it in his mouth for a few seconds and then he spits it out. It doesn't matter what I do with the worm, whether it is alive or dead, blanched or not, whether it is a tiny piece or a bigger piece, he just won't eat it. He recognizes them as food, because he does grab them, but he spits out everything that isn't an axolotl pellet.

I personally don't particularly mind if he won't eat the worms, because I'm not a huge fan of having to cut up these worms anyway, but I don't want him to develop some kind of nutritional deficiency. I currently feed him Amphibi Gold pellets (Amphibi Gold - All Natural Food for Amphibians). Would it be okay if I feed him different kinds of pellets and grub pie or something? Or is there some other way to get him to eat the worms?

Any advice?

I got some good advice in this thread: Axolotl suddenly refuses earthworms

Seachem Garlic Guard seemed to work pretty well for us, though our axolotl had previously been in the habit of eating earthworms so it might be a different situation.

worms - type of worm matters - several taste aweful - blanching in boiling water for a few seconds may be necessary and dipping in garlic juice may as well.
I use European Nightcrawlers

Other pellets absolutely. I have researched many and here is my list for clients - AXOLOTL DIET

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back