Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl eggs care

DemMa

Reaction score
Hello everyone! It’s my first time taking care of axolotl eggs and I need to hear some opinions/suggestions. I separated the eggs and put them in a 60 litre aquarium. I spread them throughout the aquarium so they have enough space. I also put an air stone. I do 50% water changes daily with dechlorinated water and the temperature is around 20-21 degrees Celsius. I have an artificial light, which I’ve turned upside down so light won’t directly hit the eggs (~2hrs daily). I have around 50 eggs and they’re 3 days old. Is there anything else I should be doing? Or change something in the routine?
Thank you in advance!

xxianxx

Reaction score
Skip the water changes, add a bit of almond leaf water, just boil the leaves up, helps prevent fungus. Remove dud eggs and leave them alone.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Just to clarify, if your using a 60l tank water changes are not necessary, if your using a small tub one or two half water changes over the hatching period may be advisable.

DemMa

Reaction score
It’s a 60 liter tank. It’s not fully filled. It contains around 40 liters of water

xxianxx

Reaction score
40 liters is loads lol. I hatch in 20l tubs with aeration several hundred eggs at a time i generally do a half water change midway through hatching.

DemMa

Reaction score
That’s a relief, cause it’s very messy having to change 50% of water every single day 😂. So I’ll add the leaf water and do a change in a week or so. Thank you again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!