Axolotl Eggs-Freshwater or Saltwater?

looie_808

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys and gals.

I have a question regarding Axolotl eggs. Should I keep them in freshwater or saltwater after they have beaned and even once they have hatched. I'm finding conflicting information online. One source of information tells me to keep them in 400 TDS(.40ppm) of saltwater but I've also heard that saltwater will kill Axolotl hatchlings. I understand Axolotls are native to brackish water and I keep my Axolotl tanks in 5% salinity with no issues but this is my first time with eggs and I want to make sure they are healthy with the best shot at a long happy life.

Any advice on this topic or general advice about raising them from eggs is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

there was an interesting article where eggs are hatched using different levels of salt, it was found that for best results 1g - 2g per litre was ideal with most hatched and least deformity's.
I've attached article

Attachments

• EFFECT OF SALINITY ON EMBRYONIC AXOLOTL DEVELOPMENT - Kristen Meiler.pdf
    789.8 KB · Views: 100
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back