Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl eggs not hatching

Dixie

Reaction score
I got 25 eggs and had 13 hatch. The first 3 hatched on 11/18 and had 2 hatch the next day and 3 the following day and then 4 on 11/21. There is still 11 unhatched (had "twins" in one egg lol). I accidently broke open 2 eggs when i was trying to move the hatched larvae and their eggs with a turkey baster and i accidentally got a hold of them too. one of them died and the other one seemed ok. I have read that they might hatch days apart but think its odd that there hasnt been any hatching for 3 days after having several every day.
I only had eggs 1 other time. I read i can help them hatch but with one dying when i did it on
accident makes me nervous to go that route. They stopped moving too. I had eggs die the first time i had eggs bc of a dumb mistake on my part and they don't look like those did, one seems to be becoming more "fuzzy" or foggy but at another angle it looks clear still so it is a bit confusing. I figured it was best to let them hatch on their own and would prefer that but also wondering how long i should wait before "helping" them hatch or if there was anything else i should do.

AxolotlFarm

Reaction score
My eggs hatched all within the same two day time period. The ones that did not make it were slowly stopping development along the way until they looked like a grey ball of liquid without but definition of the baby axolotl. My thought would be that if they're not really moving or beginning to twitch around like the others were when hatching, they are not going to hatch.

Hatch rates are different amongst every axolotl, every clutch, and every different scenario.

Dixie

Reaction score
Sorry for never updating! And bringing this thread back but all eggs hatched on their own about 1-3 days after I posted. Figured it would be helpful possibly if anyone else who had same concerns down the road!!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!