Axolotl floating on his back

Angelalexace

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Help! I have a friend looking after my axolotls as I’m out of town for work right now and she checked on them yesterday and they were fine hookfang ( the sick one) was hiding from her and hanging out on the bottom. Today she came to feed them and he was floating at the top of the water on his side she is alive but doesn’t seem to have any energy I got her to move him out of the tank from his tank mate another axolotl and test the water. The ammonia is off so she will be doing a water change for them but my female seems to be acting and looking normal. Hookfang snack legs and private area look swollen and red I’m not sure what to do for him and it’s really scaring me that I’m not there for him

Attachments

• 614BD3EA-89DB-43B8-B6FA-BE7A639B7167.jpeg
    614BD3EA-89DB-43B8-B6FA-BE7A639B7167.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 462
Help! I have a friend looking after my axolotls as I’m out of town for work right now and she checked on them yesterday and they were fine hookfang ( the sick one) was hiding from her and hanging out on the bottom. Today she came to feed them and he was floating at the top of the water on his side she is alive but doesn’t seem to have any energy I got her to move him out of the tank from his tank mate another axolotl and test the water. The ammonia is off so she will be doing a water change for them but my female seems to be acting and looking normal. Hookfang snack legs and private area look swollen and red I’m not sure what to do for him and it’s really scaring me that I’m not there for him
He is in the fridge now his butt end is very swollen

Attachments

• 77912EBF-6747-496A-B533-47CAEFCC53E6.jpeg
    77912EBF-6747-496A-B533-47CAEFCC53E6.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 87
the water needs to be shallow so that he can be placed upright.
even though a water change is being done the cause of the problem needs to be found.
It is difficult to advise on what to do as you are in the non-enviable position of being away when your pets become ill.

the water needs to be shallow so that he can be placed upright.
even though a water change is being done the cause of the problem needs to be found.
It is difficult to advise on what to do as you are in the non-enviable position of being away when your pets become ill.
I did tell my friend she needs to empty out some water to make it so he cant flip I asked her if she did and she responded saying that id she emptied out anymore water that he would roll onto his side and his gills were out if the water so i think hes still upside down in the water in the fridge

Last edited:
An updated photo I was able to get
that looks like really bad ammonia burn, I don't know what your friend will have on hand to assist. If you have non-iodized salt then adding 2g (dissolved) per litre water (1 teaspoon per 3 litre U.S. 2 litre U.K.) should help.

that looks like really bad ammonia burn, I don't know what your friend will have on hand to assist. If you have non-iodized salt then adding 2g (dissolved) per litre water (1 teaspoon per 3 litre U.S. 2 litre U.K.) should help.
There were two water tests done by two people both show the water conditions including the ammonia to be great unfortunately that was my first thought too

I did tell my friend she needs to empty out some water to make it so he cant flip I asked her if she did and she responded saying that id she emptied out anymore water that he would roll onto his side and his gills were out if the water so i think hes still upside down in the water in the fridge
Your friend is probably in the right to not lower the water level. I've read a forum where an axolotl succumbed to an illness from asphyxiation due to being out of the water. It looks like an ammonia burn as well and you said the first test the ammonia was off. Maybe the water change helped lower it, but maybe this little guy is a bit more susceptible. Also, make certain that your friend's doing a daily 100% water change for the little fellow right now and tries to right him when feeding him. Hope all goes well.

Your friend is probably in the right to not lower the water level. I've read a forum where an axolotl succumbed to an illness from asphyxiation due to being out of the water. It looks like an ammonia burn as well and you said the first test the ammonia was off. Maybe the water change helped lower it, but maybe this little guy is a bit more susceptible. Also, make certain that your friend's doing a daily 100% water change for the little fellow right now and tries to right him when feeding him. Hope all goes well.
The second water test was done before the water change she knows nothing about axolotls or water levels so she thought it was off

The second water test was done before the water change she knows nothing about axolotls or water levels so she thought it was off
😬
Then it is certainly possible something may have been off with the cycle. Crashed, cleaning mixed, etc., and your friend wouldn't have known how to test that...?

Also, what morph is he? This can help rule out coloration.

when an axolotl is unable to retain an upright position then the water needs to be shallow enough that his/her feet touch the ground but not to shallow that his/her skin starts to dry out, axolotls are remarkable creatures in that they don't have just one way to breath but three (four if you count the slits behind the gills stalks that are used to exhale co2), they absorb oxygen straight into the blood stream using the gills, they absorb oxygen through their skin and they have rudimentary lungs to get oxygen from the air. when axolotls are operated on it is done out of water. for an axolotl to die from asphyxiation means there were other variables involved.
because they absorb gasses through skin and gills means that they are susceptible to any pollutants in the water this includes any nitrogen compounds.
if the owner was at home then I would recommend using holtfreters solution to help relieve/remove toxins as well as perhaps methyline blue baths to help get oxygen into the blood stream, but as I said before it is a frustratingly non-enviable situation.
Autistic Catholic is correct in making sure that the water in the tub is changed daily with dechlorinated water.

Unfortunately he passed today and I’m not sure what happened

sorry for your loss

Unfortunately he passed today and I’m not sure what happened
It could have been a whole boat load of things that were out of your control. It looked like possible ammonia burn or red leg. If it was bacterial, there wouldn't have been a lot you could have done differently without actually being there and even then, it can take over quickly.

I'm sure the little dude had a wonderful personality and that he loved you very much - or at least the food and the home you gave him. He's not suffering anymore and I hope you can continue to make memories with your remaining axolotl.

😬
Then it is certainly possible something may have been off with the cycle. Crashed, cleaning mixed, etc., and your friend wouldn't have known how to test that...?

Also, what morph is he? This can help rule out coloration.
Hi I know he has passed but he was an golden GFP albino but definitely looked more Leucistic looking albino

Hi I know he has passed but he was an golden GFP albino but definitely looked more Leucistic looking albino
Veiny appearance seems consistent with either a chemical burn or a bacterial infection.

I'm sorry for your loss. He seemed like he had a good personality.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back