Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl floating on its side, unresponsive

axolotl-person

Reaction score
I left for a trip, for about a week, but I forgot to clean my axolotls tank before and it was kinda dirty. As soon as u got back I cleaned it well and he seemed fine, except I did notice he was making gulps for air that he’d never done before. I was up late tonight and then I noticed he was just floating on his side, not moving. I tried moving him around and trying to help him get air, but after a while he just stopped being responsive. He is still floating at the top of the tank as he was from the beginning. I don’t know if he is dead or if I can still save him, so can somebody please HELP ME!!!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Throw him in the fridge ASAP in a tub of clean dechlorinated water

Clean your tank and test you Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate you may have lost your cycle.

Send an update in a few hours and we can go from there

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Any update?

I left for a trip, for about a week, but I forgot to clean my axolotls tank before and it was kinda dirty. As soon as u got back I cleaned it well and he seemed fine, except I did notice he was making gulps for air that he’d never done before. I was up late tonight and then I noticed he was just floating on his side, not moving. I tried moving him around and trying to help him get air, but after a while he just stopped being responsive. He is still floating at the top of the tank as he was from the beginning. I don’t know if he is dead or if I can still save him, so can somebody please HELP ME!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1