Axolotl gill fluff confusion

ashlynjade

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I’m new to this so bare with me 😬 I got my axie about a month ago! He is the cutest little thing. He is about 4 inches long. he is so interesting & I spend most of my day just watching and studying him. A few days ago I noticed that his gill fluff is GONE! He seems very happy & healthy. Eating his little chunks of Live earthworms. I just don’t know why is fluff is gone. It’s like it disappeared in a day! I check my water parameters every day & they are always great! Water flow is good & not too stressful. He swims a lot & hides occasionally. Any answers? Thank you :)
217B9584-2382-46CA-B01D-8D4FBDA7128D.jpeg

The number one cause for losing 'fluff' is poor water quality and stress.

Check water parameters, temperature, current ...

Are you testing your water with strips? If so, they are not very accurate.Maybe the ammonia spiked? If so, it most probably burned his fluff.

Almond leaves in his water or tea bath with unscented tea, will help him

I hope your little guy gets all his fluff back very soon :)

Adding to LuLu's excellent advice, do note that juveniles tend to have much bigger and fluffier gills than adults, so losing a little bit of fluff as he ages is to be expected.

I use the API water testing kit! :) my water is always where it needs to be. I rigged the filter to prevent too much water movement to see if that would help at all. I’m just worried about him. He’s my first axie. He hasn’t eaten in 2 days which is worrying me, but he’s seems very healthy otherwise. He ate for 2 days straight & then stopped eating so maybe he’s just full.

The number one cause for losing 'fluff' is poor water quality and stress.

Check water parameters, temperature, current ...

Are you testing your water with strips? If so, they are not very accurate.Maybe the ammonia spiked? If so, it most probably burned his fluff.

Almond leaves in his water or tea bath with unscented tea, will help him

I hope your little guy gets all his fluff back very soon :)
Green tea or just regular unscented tea?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back