axolotl gills paler at bottom than top

jennag446

Reaction score
Country
United States
is it normal for an axie’s gills to be a lighter color at the bottom than the top? i’ve never really seen one with it. from the day i got mine, his gills have always been a little paler at the bottom than the tips.

Are you faking?? This may be serious, we need pictures, like right now.
Though i recommend a tea bath, take it to the vet. It might be a infection that might not be cured.
Anyway, keep a watch on your axolotl, and have a nice evening.

there are a few things to consider when it concerns gill colouration and hue, what colour is the axolotl ie.. wild, luci, mel etc.., what part of the gill are you describing the stems or the filaments.
this is why when asked a question such as it ok for the gills to be paler at the bottom it is best to provide a photo so the best answer can be given.

here are his gills. he is a copper melanoid

Attachments

• B8DCE402-74C7-466D-ACF2-98A9DF0CC5F8.jpeg
    B8DCE402-74C7-466D-ACF2-98A9DF0CC5F8.jpeg
    620.2 KB · Views: 104
i noticed that they become one solid color when he’s active, but they go paler at the bottom when he’s not active

i noticed that they become one solid color when he’s active, but they go paler at the bottom when he’s not active
there a blood vessels running through the gills this allows the axolotl to take oxygen straight from the water and into the blood stream, when they are active they require more oxygen so more blood is pumped through them, bit like heavy breathing during and after exercise.
the stems and filaments look fine, there's no regression or fungus, just make sure to keep the water oxygenated and there shouldn't be a issue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back