Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Gills Shriveling

Robert345

Reaction score
I'm a new owner of an adorable wild type axolotl named Cyrus. I received him shortly before the new year. He is approximately 4 inches in length. I have noticed that his gills are slowly growing less and less full. Originally they were quite pronounced and feathery. I have seen a variety of problems pop up in my tank such as, an aquarium plant dying, a diatom bloom, and some minor swings in water quality. However, my axolotl's health is now what concerns me. His gills have begun to grow much less feathery, and have shriveled, blackened, and curled. He seems to have no lack of appetite, and his tail is not curled. I've made sure the water is thoroughly oxygenated, and that there is minimal current. The ph (according to the api 5 in 1 test strips) is around 7. Nitrates and Nitrites according to the same strip are so low I cannot accurately measure them with it, and I very regularly test for ammonia in the water using a separate test strip (also api product). I have been using water treatments that I have made sure don't contain chemical irritants, but still have yet to find the cause. The GH and KH are also both within tolerable ranges. The water temperature is a little high (70 degrees Farenheit), and I have planned to use a chiller and fan for this. I still require help diagnosing what I need to do. He has plenty of hides, a sand substrate, and a light system which runs on a 24 hour clock.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where did you obtain Cyrus? Is it possible that he's a larval tiger salamander that is metamorphosing?

Robert345

Reaction score
Where did you obtain Cyrus? Is it possible that he's a larval tiger salamander that is metamorphosing
I find it highly unlikely. I purchased him/her on a site that breeds them for the purpose of raising their numbers. It was reportedly marketed as a fluffy gilled wild type axolotl in the 4-6 inch range. However, this is ruled out by the fact that his gills aren't shrinking, they are shriveling. The remnants of them are trying to grow back, but are struggling to. If it was a metamorphosis, the external gill main branch would begin shrinking, and adult patterning would begin appearing. I want to find out what I'm doing wrong to avoid doing further harm to my pet. The site was called fantaxies.com

WaterLily05

Reaction score
The gills will do that because of stress. Likely the swings in water quality or the high temps. That’s what happened to mine, and as soon as I got him a fan and took the tank from 70 to 64, he has improved. My profile pic is mine, Kirby, at his baldest state. This is him after about two months with accurate temps, and another two months later they’ve evened out and grown more
5A711B7C-784D-41BF-AC6C-3BF0CAEDD84E.jpeg

Robert345

Reaction score
This has gotten serious. I tried to lower the tank temperature at all costs, but unfortunately he just keeps getting worse. His appetite is nonexistent, his main gill branches are curling up, and no matter what I do I can't seem to keep his water quality within the best parameters. I've fridged him with some fresh water and food, but I fear he is on death's doorstep. I wish I could find a chiller that isn't defective garbage that won't cost me an arm and a leg!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1