Axolotl growth in mouth

IceFire

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Miti, 3 year old male axolotl, has had a strange growth in his mouth. It popped up a couple months ago and didn’t seem like it was interfering with his life. I went away for 2 weeks and came back and it was significantly larger. Takes up most of his mouth. He still eats, doesn’t act stressed or sick, no symptoms. His tank mate, also a 3 year old male is perfectly healthy. I suspect that it’s an injury that overhealed he got trying to eat because his mouth is too small. Mouth deformity is result of inbreeding. He’s always struggled to eat food because of it. I have to be patient with him until he manages to get it in his mouth. It’s not different now. I’m just worried that if it keeps growing, he won’t be able to get food in at all.

Attachments

• 0162C6F4-6305-4CF7-A97E-BF1CB83F382E.jpeg
    0162C6F4-6305-4CF7-A97E-BF1CB83F382E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 696
  • 610BC36D-6DD7-4A69-B1F2-68BB18701203.jpeg
    610BC36D-6DD7-4A69-B1F2-68BB18701203.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 178
  • C7D862BC-D7E0-4A96-A2F1-E95AA15A847E.jpeg
    C7D862BC-D7E0-4A96-A2F1-E95AA15A847E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 129
Things to note: I suspected it was some sort of infection at first, but he really shows no symptoms or signs of distress at all. His behaviour has no changed. His appetite has not dropped. He acts perfectly normal. Just has the big growth. I want to know if it’s benign or if it could be threatening. I’ve heard of axies with benign tumours that have lived full lives, but never seen one with one in the mouth.

Are you close to Montreal area?

There is a vet that owns and sees Axolotls that would probably be the best to consult.

It could be a problem in the near future

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back