Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl hasn't been eating for 2 weeks

sebguy

Reaction score
My 3 year old axolotl-Yin hasn't been eating for the past 2 weeks, On top of this shes been going up for air very often and taking in so much air every time that she floats. She seems to just hang around the top of the tank with part of body out of water when this happens, not attempting to get back down.
P.s. another axolotl is in the tank and the other has been eating fine this entire time
Temp-21.5 degrees Celsius
Ph-7.2
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite No2- 0ppm
Nitrate No3- 5 ppm
please help me and my axie :(

TallTree01

Reaction score
The tank seems a little warm which can stop them eating. Lower it to 18 degrees if you can. Some people reccomend fridging your axolotl to cool them down. There is a sticky in the sick axolotl about how to do it.

keiko

Reaction score
There's no need to fridge the axie. Then she definitely won't eat. Plus 21.5 C is not too hot for them to survive temporarily. If the temperature gets over 24 C then I'd think about fridging if there was no other way to keep them cool.

Edit. A few questions:
What are you feeding them? What kind of filter do you use, is the current strong?

iSuzie

Reaction score
At that temp the axolotls appetite would not be effected. They eat less at lower temps not less at higher unless they are under stress.
Does he show any signs of stress?
Other than the not eating and floating is there any other symptoms?
With the temp being at 21, I would image u may have been trying to lower it, if this is the case and if u do not have a chiller I'm wondering if u have used frozen water bottles to lower the temp, witch brings me to the question has the water temp been fluctuating at all? If u use frozen bottles or een worse frozen ice cubes this can happen and can cause stress and may be a contribution to why he isn't eating, I only ask this as I know the last few weeks have been a bit hotter.
Other than that what do u usually feed him and at what quantitys? And what have usince been trying to feed him?

iSuzie

Reaction score
At that temp the axolotls appetite would not be effected. They eat less at lower temps not less at higher unless they are under stress.
Does he show any signs of stress?
Other than the not eating and floating is there any other symptoms?
With the temp being at 21, I would image u may have been trying to lower it, if this is the case and if u do not have a chiller I'm wondering if u have used frozen water bottles to lower the temp, witch brings me to the question has the water temp been fluctuating at all? If u use frozen bottles or een worse frozen ice cubes this can happen and can cause stress and may be a contribution to why he isn't eating, I only ask this as I know the last few weeks have been a bit hotter.
Other than that what do u usually feed him and at what quantitys? And what have usince been trying to feed him?

sebguy

Reaction score
Edit. A few questions:
What are you feeding them? What kind of filter do you use, is the current strong?

Im currently fedding my two axolotls raw beef heart and prawn mix by fish fuel co
and for filter flow its not very strong but it is stronger at the top of the tank than at the bottom.
i am currently set up with 2 filters one built into the tank and the other an added filter to the side of the tank.

sebguy

Reaction score
Suzi
Yin isn't showing any signs of stress as far as i know, and Aristotle(the other axolotl) has been fine the entire time, Aristotle has been eating and not floating all
(Aristotle is a 1.5 years younger than yin)
I do have a chiller which leads me to believe that the temperature isn't changing to rapidly.
I normally feed my axolotls half a block of fish fuel co heart and prawn every second day.

keiko

Reaction score
Im currently fedding my two axolotls raw beef heart and prawn mix by fish fuel co

That's not a very good diet for axies as it's not something they'd eat in the wild. I've heard of a few incidents where people have fed beef heart etc. and it lead to constipation because it was hard for them to digest it. Try switching their diet to earth worms or axie pellets. You can also give them fresh water fish, that's my axies' favorite.
Might she be constipated? Has she pooped lately or does she look bloated?

sebguy

Reaction score
I don't see much poop in the tank and she is a bit bloated.
However she usually sits near the top of the tank with her head submerged and her eyes on the water line, as apposed to her rear.
thanks for the advice on the diet I'll be changing that asap.
P.s. shes been going up for air every minute or so now

Sweetie

Reaction score
I agree with Keiko. She could well be constipated and a change of diet to earthworms would be a great idea. I do hope her appetite picks up - please keep us posted. Best of luck.

sebguy

Reaction score
Last night yin really took a turn for the worse, shes a bit better now but that's only after lowering water levels- so that the filter breaks the surface of the water(thought it might bring more oxygen into the tank)
Yins also been floating a lot less since ive done this.
Last night she would not leave the top of the water and sit their with most of her head out of the water and was constantly taking in air every 30 seconds.
Even though she seems better now, ive noticed a strand of something coming out of the slit on her neck.
Anyone know what it could be?
You can see the strand in the second image just near the green tubing(it looks like a white dot on the green tubing)
Btw sorry for bad camera quality

Attachments

• 20141018_093249[1].jpg
    20141018_093249[1].jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 380
  • 20141018_093213[1].jpg
    20141018_093213[1].jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 344

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
If you can please take another photo of the strand you see as I cannot tell if that is the case, have you touched your axoltol to see if that strand can be removed? Maybe it is something caught on? You have a few options here and I am being very serious, your axie has not really eaten, consider force feeding, but do liquefy pellets for it just until the axie has energy again. Floating is a sign of stress.

Your axie may not have pooped since it has not eaten. But pay attention if it is pooping or not.

sebguy

Reaction score
Okay, the strand is removable it seems like it is a plant or something, but i haven't removed it, should i? having a good look around the tank i don't see much poop.
my axie has been swimming around a bit and she is now able to sit on the ground with all 4 legs
and with the liquefy pellets how do i do that?

keiko

Reaction score
In the pictures the skin looks a bit weird. Do you see any changes in it or is it just the picture/my screen?

sebguy

Reaction score
it might just be the shading in the picture, but her skins always been spotty,
Btw tried to feed her earthworms, and she took notice of them. She seemed pretty interested in them, she didn't eat them though
Since i lowered the water level shes been floating a lot less and looks less bloated as well
btw i did see a little bit of axie poop around the tank.

And hitman i did remove the strand, i might try the force feeding in the next few days as well if she still isn't eating.

sebguy

Reaction score
After having another look it seems as thought here are more strands coming from the slit in her neck and the gaps near her gills....
any ideas what it could be?
maybe she has something in her mouth?

sebguy

Reaction score
Just an update i went down to the aquarium said that it could be fungal infection after looking at more pictures, they recommended some stuff to help my axolotl
could this be an option?

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
Did the aquarists sell you api em erythromycin or melafix? Those are pretty much the most common store bought ones. Erythromycin is an antibiotic and targets certain the things. Also use the medication in a sick tub and not the aquarium tank.

It sounds like fungal or something since the amount of them is growing. If it worries you, take your guy to a vet. They are pricey and chances are they also give you antibiotics. So you will have to make that call.

The alternative is indian almond leaves which is natural.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!