Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl hatchlings......

E

ed

Axolotls have been hatching for about a week or so now. Seeing alot of light colored ones which I can only assume are leucistics plus some very interesting colored wildtypes.

J

john

You can distinguish leucistics immediately because although they will have pigment on the head, the pigment won't extend onto the body from the muscle ridge of the back.

-John

I

inge

Hi, I would like some Information on Tiger Salamanders. How big do they get, how long to they live and how can you tell if it is a "he" or a "she" ?
Thank's for any Information!!!!!!!
Greetings from Michigan,
Inge.

J

john

It might be best to start another separate "conversation" about this, Inge, so that other people interested in the subject will see it and join in?

I

inge

Hi John, thank's for your reply. I'm still pretty new to this Computer stuff, but I'm learning. I will try to do as you successed it.
Viele Gruesse aus Michigan,
Inge.
You could also write to me direct if you like.
lieselb@webtv.net

I

i

Hi we are new to keeping Axolotls and have had three lots of eggs but unfortunatly we seem to have a problem with keeping the young larvae alive each time we have had approx.250 eggs at present we only have 62 left alive the hp is 7.0 ihave small groups in tubs of about an inch of water with a constant slow flow of oxygen and a small amount of daphnia daily and keeped at room tempreture could you please advise us on what im doing wrong?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why only an inch of water? Can you explain exactly what you do to the water, for example are you adjusting the pH? Do you add something to remove chlorine? How often do you change the water? How many larvae per tub? Are the daphnia alive, and you see the larvae eating? All details please.

I

i

Hi thankyou for replying. I was recommended to allow only a inch of water which would enable the larvae to catch the daphnia (I feed live daphnia), I havent done anything to the ph as I was informed that the ph should be between 7 & 7.6 I don't add anything to the water I leave it standing for 2 to 4 days to allow the clorine to evaporate I change the water once a week & once 1/2 change, I've been keeping ten larvae until they reach a size of one cm in a 1kg margarine tub.I have only seen a few eat, just befor they die they become weak swimmers and the ends of the tails curl to one side
Many thanks
Lorraine

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would venture a guess that it could be a water quality problem. (It could also be a genetic problem (very unlikely) or a disease problem.) I'd suggest doing things differently in whatever ways you can think of, and you'll hopefully hit on success. Some specific ideas are:

1. Try doing much more water changes, like half every day. And larger water volume too. They will still find the daphnia.

2. Try using bottled spring water for some, in place of aged tap water.

3. Check with your local waterworks to find out if they have switched from chlorine to chloramine. Many have, and if so, aging for 2-4 days is not adequate, you have to use Amquel or similar product.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!