Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl help?

Lilah202

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am new here. I got my male axolotl last year and he will be one in July. I went out of town recently and my home caretaker watched over him while I was gone. I am now back from my short trip and am just wondering if it is normal for an axie to have white coloring on the tips on some of his gills. I will attach a photo. The whiteness isn't puffy so I do not think it is fungus. Any ideas? Thank you!!

Lilah202

Reaction score
Here is a current photo of him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 116

Lilah202

Reaction score
The image doesn't really show much white on the tip, it's very feint.

Can you upload some more pictures from various angles ?

For sure! I will get a few more pictures tonight. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Lilah202

Reaction score
I hope these help. Let me know if you need any other angles/close ups. I apologize for the delay! Thanks again. It could just be nothing but you can never be too careful. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 95

Lilah202

Reaction score
I have to add each photo separately - my internet is quite slow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 85

Lilah202

Reaction score
This is the third and last picture I took.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 91

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
It's not fungus, looks more like the fimbriae are starting to disapear, which makes the tip look whiter. Is your tank cycked? What is the temperature of the tank water?Keep an eye on it, if it changes post more images

Lilah202

Reaction score
Thank you! It has not changed yet. The tank temp stays at about 68-70 F due to the hot and humid weather we are currently having. I put ice bottles in his tank daily to cool it down. As for the cycling, I believe it is. I've had him since September and have not noticed anything wrong (other than pale gills when he's less active) with his gills until recently.

Skudo09

Reaction score
Have you tested the parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH? Without knowing these parameters it is not possible to determine if the tank is cycled.

Lilah202

Reaction score
Hello!
Yes, I have tested my (cleaned as of today) tank for the following and all is good there.
pH = 7.6
Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = 0 ppm

Over the past few days I have been monitoring his gills and have noticed a significant improvement which I am very pleased about. The white coloring has disappeared and his fluffy red gills have returned. I can not thank you two enough for your help : ) I will update this thread if anything else changes in the future.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1