Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl housing

M

matt

Hi,

Having asked about the practicalities of Bombina orientalis and Fire Sal. housing at this extremely helpful site, I thought I'd pick the collective brains here about housing my axolotl.

I'm moving him (big chap) to a bigger tank, which currently lacks a hood / top. I do not propose to use any lighting. I see John Clare's set-up used corrigated plastic... my question is, do I need a lid at all? I'd quite like to leave it open to maximise the light going in, allow ease of feeding,enjoy the bubble of the undergravel etc.

Have they ever been known to leap out, as a couple of my aquarium fish used to do? (There are no cats about if that is relevant!)

J

john

Yes, they have been known to leap out, though I haven't seen it myself. If you tankr is less than half full and it's a 40 cm+ (over 15 inches) tall tank, it's quite unlikely it'll be able to leap out, but having said that, I wouldn't keep one without some sort of token lid, even if it's just a clear piece of plastic or something.

Glad you find the site helpful, that's why it's here ;).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1