Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl injured by pepper Cory catfish

Misscherripie

Reaction score
HELP PLEASE

EDIT: what can I do to help her heal? I’ve read that Furan 2 might prevent infection, but does anyone have experience with this?? I’ve read up on fridging and tea baths and generally am overwhelmed with information and don’t know exactly how to go about doing them. TIA
TANK TEMP IS 65, ALL WATER LEVELS ARE GOOD, NO TANK MATES.
My Axolotl was impaled in the top and bottom of its mouth by a Cory catfish. I was told at a local petstore this would be a good feeder for her and failed to do my own research and now am suffering the consequences. We removed the fish’s spikes and were able to take the whole fish out with minimal injury, but my axolotl’s jaw is puffed up. Will the Cory poison kill her? I was gone for about a day and have no idea when she became injured by it.

Now she is going to the top, blowing bubbles it sounds like, then floating back down. She’s sitting on top of the other things in her tank (decor) and isn’t eating. Sometimes when she floats back down she allows herself to go headfirst and just float (looking like she’s hanging down by her tail).

first photo is from when I found her with her injury, second is after we removed and put her back into the tank, and the third is her now, looking a little less puffy than last night but now not moving much (frills are going back and forth about every 1-5 seconds)
42C3D4E7-01A4-4918-BB52-B5D6180071C9.jpeg
ECA6BA72-CC06-404E-A09F-FF9B7F4B8AFA.jpeg
80B151F9-82FF-4561-BF9A-778921D7F451.jpeg

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
First - ouch - that had to hurt

I'm sorry you were given such poor and dangerous advice.

You may want to tub her until eating is back to normal

I would personally use meth blue and Indian Almond Leaf to help in the tub. If swelling or redness I would see a vet as types of infections vary.

Food I would go to small pieces of repashy grub pie or thawed raw salmon.

Keep us posted

MnGuy

Reaction score
Sorry that happened. I would never go back to that pet store if I were you. Their advice was plain wrong on top of being reckless, dangerous and stupid.

I'm surprised a pet store would ever sell a cory cat as a feeder. What a shame.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
@Misscherripie

How is your little baby doing? I am so sorry that happened! Did you get your revenge on that store for selling you a catfish as a feeder? Please tell me you went back and raised hell and at least got your money back. I would be livid.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!