Axolotl is no longer pooping

Nikkiwhiskers

Reaction score
Country
United States
UPDATE: Still has not pooped but sometimes he shows interest in worms. Sometimes floats with his tail up. I don't know what to do; I'm borderline panicking right now.

Hi! I got an axolotl a little over a month ago. He was fine when I got him though he was and is a little too skinny. I can't seem to fatten him up.

He has not pooped in about 2, maybe 3 weeks. He still swims around and ate part of a red wiggler the other day (he ate a pellet this morning but is uninterested in food right now; also he was eating decently since I got him).

There is no substrate in his tank, so I don't know how he could be constipated. Is he sick or not eating enough? He hasn't gained any weight either but doesn't act sick. If he is constipated is there a way to fix it without fridging? I have no fridging experience and I'm pretty sure my parents would not let me put him in the refrigerator. Any help would be appreciated, I'm extremely worried about my guy.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I just joined and have never posted before.

Last edited:
Hi! I got an axolotl a little over a month ago. He was fine when I got him though he was and is a little too skinny. I can't seem to fatten him up.

He has not pooped in about 2, maybe 3 weeks. He still swims around and ate part of a red wiggler the other day (he ate a pellet this morning but is uninterested in food right now; also he was eating decently since I got him).

There is no substrate in his tank, so I don't know how he could be constipated. Is he sick or not eating enough? He hasn't gained any weight either but doesn't act sick. If he is constipated is there a way to fix it without fridging? I have no fridging experience and I'm pretty sure my parents would not let me put him in the refrigerator. Any help would be appreciated, I'm extremely worried about my guy.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I just joined and have never posted before.
Not all axies loop large turds he could just be constipated,as 4 the weight how many times a day do u feed him??

Not all axies loop large turds he could just be constipated,as 4 the weight how many times a day do u feed him??
I feed him about 6 pellets a day but sometimes he won't eat that many. I've also been feeding him red wigglers starting the day before yesterday

I feed him about 6 pellets a day but sometimes he won't eat that many. I've also been feeding him red wigglers starting the day before yesterday
Try just feeding him earth worms or stick to the red wrigglers, pause on the pellets 4 a few days, and feed 2 worms daily c if it helps☺ sometimes the pellets constipate them and they don't gain weight.

pellets are constipating as they absorb all the surrounding water in their system.

Add some fat to his diet. Thawed raw salmon, shrimp, or cod or add repashy bottom scratcher or grub pie to your foods you feed.

I think he may have taken a poo, but also he sometimes spits up worms so I have no idea if this is poo or vomit. It was in one piece originally and it smelled real bad but it fell in two when I poked it with a spoon. I added a picture but I don't know if y'all can see it. By the way, the stuff under the plastic is not substrate. It's the carpet he's tubbed over. There is no substrate in the tub. So, is this poo or a spit-up worm piece?

EDIT: It's poo. He still has a string of it coming from his butt...gross but he's not impacted anymore :) Now I can take the picture of it off my camera roll!

Attachments

• 20210111_204958.jpg
    20210111_204958.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back