Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

axolotl larvae and microworms

trincan

Reaction score
I have had the eggs for a week, two hatched the day I received them from being shipped, and the other three have hatched all on seperate days. (I got to see four of the five make it in to the water out of their gooey egg, amazing I mist say!) Upon hatching I have put each larvae in to it's own little bug catcher tank. They are really convenient, transparent like an aquarium, cost a dollar and have vented lids with a see-through door.

They are all getting bigger, and I started feeding on Saturday. (I was lucky enough to find a company close by allowing me to pick up a culture of microworms, they usually ship but made an exception for me, thank-you Canadian Feeders!!)
I drop in the head of a toothpick covered in microworms twice a day, i this a sufficient method for feeding? I have watched the tanks closely, and have not seen them eat. But, they must be because they are growing and the number of worms are fewer after a few hours.

Also, because larvae need to be fed so often, when and how should I perform water changes?

If anyone has any other tips, that would be great!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
They won't grow fast on microworms, but they'll grow. See if you can add something else occasionally (like a few Daphnia). Microworms die off after a while in water (can take a few hours or a day or two). In any case I would change the water completely every 2 or 3 days if you have no filtration or very gentle bubbler to circulate the water. If you have one of these, then change the water perhaps half as frequently in a decent size setup. I'm not familiar with the tanks you're describing but I am guessing they're small. In that case I'd change them every 2-3 days completely.

trincan

Reaction score
I was unable to find any daphnia. The guy at the shop said his cultures were not blooming. I have yet to find any other place in this city (or surrounding area) that has anything small enough to feed larvae. I do not have the time for brine shrimp, and even less of an idea of where I could obtain them.

The axies look good, I am changing their water tomorrow. They are so cool. The coolest thing was watching them dance about in their egg sacs. I wish my camera could register such a small image, I will keep trying so I can keep eveyone updated.

John, here is a picture of the tanks they are kept in. They cost a dollar each, and to me, well worth it. There is a vented lid with a hinged door on top. Easy to clean, easy to see what's going on inside.

Attachments

• tank 001.jpg
    tank 001.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 4,328
  • tank 002.jpg
    tank 002.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 3,155
Last edited:

accidentalfan

Reaction score
Feeding and water changes

Kara,
I've been feeding mine once in the morning and again in the evening. I leave the food in there for a couple hours or so, and then clean the tank at night. It seems to keep the tank clean and clear and the babies can eat all day.
I've been using Brine shrimp. It was a little hard to get the hang of the first day or two, but after that, it has been really easy to maintain.
I have 2 hatcheries. One is very good at hatching the eggs, but good luck separating the cysts from the shrimp. The other is very slow at hatching, but lets the shrimp swim into fresh water which can be removed from the unit and fed directly to the Axies. (because the shrimp swim away from the cysts.)
I hatch in one, dump that water into the other unit, and have brine shrimp available all cleaned off and ready to feed every 12 hours when I'm ready.
I'll email you as soon as I can.
Your set up looks great!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Everything looks fine. Keep up the good work.

clefty

Reaction score
hey. I'm from a town in ontario right near you and was wondering where you got your axie eggs from? I'd love to get some but can't find anywhere willing to send them to me! thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • blubford:
    my idea was to have two one in the tank and one freezing and by the time the first melts i switch it out with the one freezing and repeat
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    and for the land i think they can just go into the water to cool off
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    yeah i think that sounds like a good plan :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • NeilP:
    Hello
    +1
    Unlike
  • NeilP:
    I have two axolotls (one boy and one girl) and I recently changed them to feeding every other day. Since then, the female has lost two gils and then red marks appeared on two of her legs Which my local aquatic centre said looked like bite marks rather than red leg) and this morning, the female's front left leg is having on by a thread. I was going to the by a divider for my tank to stop them mating but now it seems I need to buy it asap to stop the male eating the female. I have a 125 ltr tank so space should not be an issue, but does anyone have any advice and will the female need a salt bath or anything else?
    +1
    Unlike
  • the:
    she should be ok as axolotls can regenerate limbs, the only this i would say is to mabey feed the male more as this type of behavuor is uslay down to hunger.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    hey, anyone know how long bloodworms can stay in an axolotl tank before they begin to rot and cause an ammonia spike?
    +1
    Unlike
  • melon:
    I think it is always best to get them out asap but probably two days or so.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    its around 3 small pieces in the tank. Since i've just moved homes, my axolotl is still at my old house. Yesterday i fed him bloodworms and he missed a few. I couldnt get them out without a turkey baster and decided to let them sit because i was gonna move him to the house tomorrow. But now its late and I dont have a car and my dad wont drive me. Will he be fine?
    +1
    Unlike
  • melon:
    I would think so i would just try to get them out tomorrow
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    yeah, im heading over tomorrow morning to move him to this house and feed him. Thanks for the help!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    So my axolotl tank cycle just crashed and while i was in the middle of a water change my bucket overflowed and spilled water all of the ground in my brand new home. This is going super well 👍
    +2
    Unlike
  • the:
    ooff
    +1
    Unlike
  • the:
    good luck recycling the tank!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roach:
    do the classifieds still exist?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roach:
    nevermind! off my game tonight
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    Im so frustrated right now. My axolotl WONT eat and my tank still isnt looking too good. Some extra stress i needed.
    +1
    Unlike
  • John:
    Sorry to hear that Shane. Did you post about it?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    No, I havent. Im not really sure why he wont eat. Hes in a 1 gallon tub and still a juvenile. When i offer food he swims away from it. Does he need some extra time? or is this something I should be worried about.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JulMl:
    Hello everyone! I’m new in this world and i need some advices please! I have 2 axolotl babies and currently the water from the tank is from bottled water ( all parameters are good) but i want to change 50% of the water with city tap water. My question is how to change it? Do i need to get axis out, do the change, add the prime, wait (how much?) until its dechlorinated or i can add the tap water directly into the tank with axis in it, and add the prime conditioner? Thank you!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    1. You dont need to take them out of the tank to change the water as long as you pour it in slow as to not rattle them around too much
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    2. add the prime to your tap water, for most conditioners the consensus is 5 minutes of waiting time
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    3.After 5 minutes it should be safe to add
    +1
    Unlike
  • JulMl:
    Thank you so much !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    I private messaged you a bit clearer instructions just in case