Axolotl larvae fungus

Ttinaed

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I have a batch of axolotl larvae that hatched about 2 weeks ago. All are doing well so far, but I have concerns about 1. I am aware that more than likely it will pass, but wanted to try to help as best as I can. There is a small fluff of fungus towards its tail. It is also not very active and I don't see it eating as the others do. It is separated, of course. I just started doing salt baths at half strength for 5 min twice daily. There are also IAL added to its regular water. Is there anything else I should be doing to up the chances of survival? I've included a pic. They don't even have front leg buds yet. Thanks.
20220307_120412.jpg

Attachments

• 20220307_120307.jpg
    20220307_120307.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 266
  • 20220307_120341.jpg
    20220307_120341.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 262
So, I have a batch of axolotl larvae that hatched about 2 weeks ago. All are doing well so far, but I have concerns about 1. I am aware that more than likely it will pass, but wanted to try to help as best as I can. There is a small fluff of fungus towards its tail. It is also not very active and I don't see it eating as the others do. It is separated, of course. I just started doing salt baths at half strength for 5 min twice daily. There are also IAL added to its regular water. Is there anything else I should be doing to up the chances of survival? I've included a pic. They don't even have front leg buds yet. Thanks.View attachment 91839
look up using holtfreters solution, one of the reasons it was created was for instances like this. I believe the amount used would be the same as embryos, go to Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity for more details and how to make it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back