Axolotl less lively, seeking to gulp air. HELP!

Okay so I read through but still some questions

Are you using Tap or Distilled water now?
Are you using a fan on the tank in addition to the frozen water bottles?

Are you planning to buy a proper accurate test kit such as a freshwater master test kit?

For the water changes reference in this thread I only used distilled.
I don't have a fan over the tank, can I use a regular fan to blow over the tank??

I'm looking into buying a chiller once someone gets back to me on a good one for my size tank--what is a freshwater master test kit?

Distilled water is worse for axolotls than tap water treat with Prime. They need the dissolved solid that distilling removes.
If you want to continue using distilled you need to add Seachem equilibrium to balance what has been removed.

A regular stand fan or desk fan is perfect and have it blowing across the top of the water it makes a huge difference.

API® | FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT

For the water changes reference in this thread I only used distilled.
I don't have a fan over the tank, can I use a regular fan to blow over the tank??

I'm looking into buying a chiller once someone gets back to me on a good one for my size tank--what is a freshwater master test kit?

Distilled water is worse for axolotls than tap water treat with Prime. They need the dissolved solid that distilling removes.
If you want to continue using distilled you need to add Seachem equilibrium to balance what has been removed.

A regular stand fan or desk fan is perfect and have it blowing across the top of the water it makes a huge difference.

API® | FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT
Okay thank you for the information! I was just so unsure with the tap water we have and the chlorine I wanted something that would help balance out what was left in the tank. Going forward for future water changes I can use my tap and use the dechlorinator I bought.

What are the dissolved solids you are talking about though? Do you mean the hardness of the water?

Okay thank you for the information! I was just so unsure with the tap water we have and the chlorine I wanted something that would help balance out what was left in the tank. Going forward for future water changes I can use my tap and use the dechlorinator I bought.

What are the dissolved solids you are talking about though? Do you mean the hardness of the water?
What dechlorinator did u buy? And dissolved solids are dissolved beneficial minerals and other things. I don’t know a whole lot about it Calagary knows a lot more, but from what I’ve read thats pretty much what it is.

Prime deals with the chlorine and chloramine. Chlorine also off gasses if you let water off gas for 24 hours before use.

Water has dissolved solids like Potassium, sodium, calcium, minerals etc in it which yes all together are your General hardness. Axolotls actually need fairly hard water.
Distilled water removes everything similar to Reverse osmosis. Both need to be remineralized with Equilibruim which is also very similar to holtfreters so extra beneficial.

What dechlorinator did u buy? And dissolved solids are dissolved beneficial minerals and other things. I don’t know a whole lot about it Calagary knows a lot more, but from what I’ve read thats pretty much what it is.
API Tap Water Conditioner. The bottle says it " Dechlorinates aquarium water: Removes chlorine and chloramines. Detoxifies heavy metals. Super Strength: high concentration formula."

API Tap Water Conditioner. The bottle says it " Dechlorinates aquarium water: Removes chlorine and chloramines. Detoxifies heavy metals. Super Strength: high concentration formula."
Great! I started off using Api Stress Coat, which I learned is bad for axolotls. API tap water conditioner is great though!

Prime deals with the chlorine and chloramine. Chlorine also off gasses if you let water off gas for 24 hours before use.

Water has dissolved solids like Potassium, sodium, calcium, minerals etc in it which yes all together are your General hardness. Axolotls actually need fairly hard water.
Distilled water removes everything similar to Reverse osmosis. Both need to be remineralized with Equilibruim which is also very similar to holtfreters so extra beneficial.
What do you mean by off gas?

When water gets to sit for 24 hours the chlorine off gases - I guess evaporate works but not ideal.
This does not deal with chloramine however which is why we use dechlorinators.
Yes API water conditioner is one of the safe ones.

When water gets to sit for 24 hours the chlorine off gases - I guess evaporate works but not ideal.
This does not deal with chloramine however which is why we use dechlorinators.
Yes API water conditioner is one of the safe ones.
Oh so the water sits and the chlorine in a sense evaporates??

Well thank you I am trying my best to save this little guy. He is the coolest pet I've ever had and I happened upon him by chance. My coworker's niece used to own him about 2 years ago, but she told me her niece wasn't very good at feeding and changing his water so they were looking to re-home him. I took him thinking it would be better than being stuck in a small tank in a corner of the room forgotten.

Unfortunately I'm not a very educated owner. I'm so grateful to have found this site and you all to talk to for help.

The guy I just spoke with at the pet store says our city doesn't use chlorine in the water. I live in a SUPER old downtown building apartment though so maybe some of the older equipment effects it regardless of there being chlorine or not from the city's end? Regardless I think I've got a plan in place to manage it from now on.
This forum is very useful in learning how to care for axolotls. I read through a lot of threads to learn how best to care for mine when i was new :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back