Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl not eating after putting him in dechlorinated tub

ltoloxa-

Reaction score
Hi,

I was worried about my axie and don't have an api test kit yet (arriving tomorrow) so I put him in a dechlorinated tub of water.

He is moving around a lot more, and ate food last night, but i've tried 3 times to feed him today and he refuses. He has never refused food before.

I was going to put a frozen water bottle in the tub as the temp is pretty high and I don't have a fan yet. Is this a good idea?

What else could be the problem? Thanks

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Hi,

I was worried about my axie and don't have an api test kit yet (arriving tomorrow) so I put him in a dechlorinated tub of water.

He is moving around a lot more, and ate food last night, but i've tried 3 times to feed him today and he refuses. He has never refused food before.

I was going to put a frozen water bottle in the tub as the temp is pretty high and I don't have a fan yet. Is this a good idea?

What else could be the problem? Thanks
Yep! It’s almost definitely high temperature. Does he have any red marks on his body? I use frozen water bottles to keep my size tank temp down

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Yeah, less than yesterday though. I just put a bottle in the freezer now. Am I okay to leave him overnight and cool it in the morning?
Okay, so those are ammonia burns. Order some methylene blue and Furan2, you can get them both of chewy or amazon. He will be fine with daily 100% water changes, but you should still get that treated

ltoloxa-

Reaction score
Okay, so those are ammonia burns. Order some methylene blue and Furan2, you can get them both of chewy or amazon. He will be fine with daily 100% water changes, but you should still get that treated
I'm worried about the temp, it's over 20 now, should I grab the water bottle and cool it (it wont be completely frozen yet)? I read that 24degrees can be fatal

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I'm worried about the temp, it's over 20 now, should I grab the water bottle and cool it (it wont be completely frozen yet)? I read that 24degrees can be fatal
Do you have a basement or a coldest room in your house? I would put him in there. And yes, that’s good. I would recommend freezing multiple so you can swap them out

ltoloxa-

Reaction score
Do you have a basement or a coldest room in your house? I would put him in there. And yes, that’s good. I would recommend freezing multiple so you can swap them out
No, but I could open my window? Usually my room is the coldest place. Okay. I don't have any other plastic bottles as Mum always throws them out. I'll see what I can find tho

Edit: dumb question but do I float the bottle or stand it up?

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Do not treat with furan 2 it is not a bacterial infection.

Indian almond leaves in the tub, Black tea bath

and yes freeze a rotation of bottles you NEED the temp to be lower than 18 degrees at all times

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
No, but I could open my window? Usually my room is the coldest place. Okay. I don't have any other plastic bottles as Mum always throws them out. I'll see what I can find tho

Edit: dumb question but do I float the bottle or stand it up?
That works as well! You can even put your lotl outside if it’s cold and you can sit out there. If u don’t u can use big reusable ones but those have a tendency to leak.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1