Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Not Eating... Help!?

isomudkip

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon long, bare-bottom tank filled about 70% with water. I have an aquarium fan that keeps the water between 64 and 66 degrees. I regularly add water due to evaporation. I have a Fluval 30 Filter with a sponge pre-filter on the intake tube that regularly gets rinsed/replaced depending on its condition. I do about a 30% water change every week. I use an API Testing Kit every day to verify that the water parameters are good. It is typically 7.8-8.0 pH, 0.0 to 0.25 ammonia, 0.0 nitrite, and 5.0 to 20.0 nitrate. I rinse the filter in tank water every few weeks to dislodge any sludge. I use a net and a turkey baster to remove waste from the tank when I see it.

Within the tank, I have 1 6-inch diameter terracotta pot that I cut in half, sanded, and soaked before introducing it to the tank, one java fern attached to a nicely sized piece of driftwood that was boiled before introduction, and one moss ball that floats around freely. I did have an anubias plant tied to a river rock, but it kept getting detached and I worried that my Axolotl would eat the fishing line that I used to attach it. I have pulled that out, but still have it in water near the tank in case I come up with another strategy. The final things within my tank are a thermometer and a very small air stone connected to a 20 gallon pump. It makes very nice bubbles towards the back of the tank and the Axolotl seems to really enjoy playing with them and the java fern.

I adopted my Axolotl, Mudkip, the week of July 4th. We are going on two months together. They were about 4 inches long when adopted. They have grown significantly and typically have a tummy around the same thickness as their head. They were raised on salmon pellets and were regulary eating at least 6-8 every day.

Over the past 7-10 days, we have been seeing less poop and much less eating. There were a couple of small, stringy poops, but nothing major in over a week. Most days he will eat 2 pellets. There were one or two days over the past week where they ate 4 or 5. There were also some days where they didn't eat any pellets at all. I am beginning to worry that maybe they are no longer interested in the pellets or that they are getting sick. Their skin color and gills look very good. Gills are much, much fuller since adoption. They easily can swim around the tank with no floating. There was one day were I saw a bit of a curled tail, but I have not noticed stress in any other way.

I was reading some forums on Reddit where folks said that their Axolotls went through a sort of adolescent stage, and that they eventually regained their appetite. Others have tried to change to feeding worms from another food source. I just want to be sure that I am doing everything right and that their aren't any major concerns at this point. Any advice is welcome and appreciated!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Conditions sound good.

Have you tried offering anything else?
I find mine get bores of particular pellets after a while.

You could try repashy grub pie or thawed raw salmon to make sure theres no GI issues as they are high fat and lube everything up.

I find my juveniles shift when they get bigger like 8 months ish they have a diet shift

akiso914

Reaction score
I would try offering a small earthworm or red wiggler worms. Your tank setup sounds good, and I found that my lotls like wiggly food better but food preferences differ in individuals.

isomudkip

Reaction score
Thank you both for your advice! I picked up some red wigglers yesterday and my Axolotl ate a whopping four worms! I had no issues getting it to eat. I am feeling a lot better now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1