Axolotl not eating

Shane_Yogurt

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl has not been eating the past few days. What happened was I was super busy last week because I just moved into a new home. I barley had enough time to move him over but I did. I kept the old water and added some new water and water conditioner. I noticed a few days later he only ate one pellet and then spat the other ones I fed him out. I thought this was weird because the tank was at 61 degrees and he had no fungus. I tested the water and found out that there was 160 nitrate 20 nitrite and .20 ammonia. I immediately moved him to a 1 gallon tub and added some stuff to help the tank re-cycle. Ever since hes gotten into the tub he hasnt he bit at the food. He swims away from the food everytime I offer it to him. Hes getting skinny and this is worrying me. Please help me this tank may take a week to cycle.

Attachments

• 20211126_164602.jpg
    20211126_164602.jpg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 586
  • 20211126_164605.jpg
    20211126_164605.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 78
My axolotl has not been eating the past few days. What happened was I was super busy last week because I just moved into a new home. I barley had enough time to move him over but I did. I kept the old water and added some new water and water conditioner. I noticed a few days later he only ate one pellet and then spat the other ones I fed him out. I thought this was weird because the tank was at 61 degrees and he had no fungus. I tested the water and found out that there was 160 nitrate 20 nitrite and .20 ammonia. I immediately moved him to a 1 gallon tub and added some stuff to help the tank re-cycle. Ever since hes gotten into the tub he hasnt he bit at the food. He swims away from the food everytime I offer it to him. Hes getting skinny and this is worrying me. Please help me this tank may take a week to cycle.
I should also mention the top he is in at at 67 F. I cant get it any colder than that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back