Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl rarely comes up for air, seems to struggle to rise.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve had my axolotl for a while now, and he never seems to go up for air unless he is in a very shallow tub (when I move him). He seems to want to, as he sometimes appears to be trying to head upwards, but he doesn’t really swim up, instead he tries to walk vertically on the glass, then give up. Other times I walk in and see him climb up on a plant to about an inch away from the surface, but he doesn’t go up for air. At first, I was worried he was having trouble swimming, but then he proved me wrong by swimming up and down and everywhere when I had to help him get his head unstuck from under his feeding plate (how he got stuck is anyone’s guess). Do any of you guys have axolotls who seem to never go up for air? Is he just too lazy, or should I be worried. He’s been doing this ever since he grew out of his floatie-baby stage.
B7871199-2568-4D55-B593-A2C0A2C63424.jpeg
505BB435-DDA0-4560-8D2E-D8CE429A7550.png
Here are some pictures of him. My water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20-40 nitrates (I have a heavily planted tank), KH 100-120, GH 130-140, PH 7.6, and water temperature between 65 and 67 degrees (this is in summer). Please, if you have any feedback, let me know! Thanks!

Ludghens

Reaction score
Have you seen any signs of stress because of it?
My axie tends to swim around but rarely goes up for air to the surface, I think that unless they need surface air they won't do it but I'm not entirely sure. Stay calm, as far as I can see he looks healthy!

Reaction score
He doesn’t seem to be stressed about it, but he just never does it... maybe the plants keep the oxygen levels high enough so he doesn’t need to? Thanks to your input!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1