Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Red Leg

Aristole

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Eh
Hey guys, if anyone could help me please do.
My axolotl has caught red leg, i used to have a yellow one but he caught it and died, so i got worried because i have had this one for 2 years. (I cleaned the tank) I put him in the fridge, the next day he is alright, but if i leave him in there for 3 days, will he lose the disease :confused:? If not please reply to me and if there is anything other than expensive vets please feel free to message me! Thanks.
P.S photos:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAI8/Qt5KYEI3cEQ/w140-h104-p/IMG_3016.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAJA/Ie8FE_mN3g4/w140-h104-p/IMG_3010.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3016.jpg
    IMG_3016.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 820
  • IMG_3010.jpg
    IMG_3010.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 590
Some better pics would be useful, the bits of red in the tank look like tissue. Do you know what red leg is ?

If it really is red leg then the axie will need antibiotics as soon as possible.

Some better pics would be useful, the bits of red in the tank look like tissue. Do you know what red leg is ?
I know what red leg is, first he had bubble vein thing sticking out of his bum, then red spots on him then mouth opened (wont eat). That's what happened to the yellow one and next morning he died with blood all over him. So i put the black one in the fridge he has been with me for 2 yrs:eek:. He is ok-ish. And now im cleaning the tank.
Ill get more photos.

More photos

Attachments

• IMG_3017.jpg
    IMG_3017.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_3019.jpg
    IMG_3019.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 401
I think you're going to have to see a vet for some proper antibiotics - whether it is red leg or septacemia doesn't matter, but the sooner the better.

Also does anyone know about the fridge is it good for her? Also it is 5 C.o degrees in there.
And the white spots on her. Cheers, Aristole:happy:

Sounds like septecemia tbh rather than red leg. The red bits on the wildtype, are they actually part of the axolotl or just bits resting on it ? Fridging will not cure septecemia nor red leg.

Don't hesitate, be sure to decide asap if you are taking the axie to a vet or not and yes it will be expensive. Just leaving the axie in the fridge will not help this problem. It is easily a $100-$200 visit.

If you cannot find a vet at all and don't know what other options you have. This is all I know for you: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...xolotl/99459-axolotl-antibiotic-solution.html

There is a chance something nasty is in your tank, have your axie in a hospital tub until it is better.

Sounds like septecemia tbh rather than red leg. The red bits on the wildtype, are they actually part of the axolotl or just bits resting on it ? Fridging will not cure septecemia nor red leg.
The red stuff is apart of him. So i going to have to take him to vets

I took him to the vets, but later on he died :(

Red leg or septicaemia always requires urgent antibiotic treatment from a vet. Once such an infection spreads through an axie's system, it is usually fatal within a couple of days. Fridging just slows down the axie's metabolism, thus delaying the inevitable. All we can do is learn from experience, but I am very sorry for your loss. Obviously, you should sterilise the tank and everything in it (which of course also means re-establishing the cycle) before putting anything living back into it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back