Axolotl sick

MommyofAxie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning,
I have a 1 year old Axolotl... she's been healthy up to this point. I noticed her floating for a bit (2 days) freaking out as I do whenev
20221222_081452.jpg
er my pets are under the weather. Put Axie in a tub because I was informed that she had to poop, turns out she did. Transfer her back into her tank following the protocol and she was fine till this morning. This is when I noticed that her tail is red, which looks like chemical burns. I do not use distilled water. Use tap, let it sit for 24 hrs, her water test is in normal range. Yes, I even treat her water to get rid of chemicals
I'm at a loss here. Thanks in advance!

what dechlorinator are you using?
what are the water parameters? ie.. temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and kh gh if possible.
do you use any other chemicals or additives in the tank? ie.. salt, magnesium sulphate, bottled bacteria etc..
that does look like ammonia burn but it could also be bacterial infection.
she needs to be tubbed in cold water which is changed daily, the water needs to contain 2g salt per litre of water (or if possible 100% holtfreters solution, info here.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity ), make sure the water is dechlorinated and also oxygenated with an air-stone, methyline blue baths may also be a good idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back