Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl skin change and spots

Helena.la.lune

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Long time using this website but first time posting and joining. I thought I'd share an interesting part of my axolotl journey. My male axolotl started getting spots on him about 2 years ago, and bringing him into an exotic vet to get the skin biopsied showed no abnormalities so I wanted to share and see if anyone else had ever experienced this with their axolotl? I'm in the animal industry as a vet nurse and I've never seen or heard of this before. As you can see on the photos provided they are all small white spots- not fury or spreading but just singular. He started off with one and now has many.

salt baths/ fridging or Indian almond leaves have never reduced these spots either!
20220620_205927.jpg

20220620_205956.jpg

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
If they're spots and not fungus, then salt baths and fridging are only doing harm and not good.
It's completely normal for axolotols to lose pigmentation and we've had a couple others on here lately with wild types almost essentially end up becoming leucistics.

Helena.la.lune

Reaction score
If they're spots and not fungus, then salt baths and fridging are only doing harm and not good.
It's completely normal for axolotols to lose pigmentation and we've had a couple others on here lately with wild types almost essentially end up becoming leucistics.
Do you know If there was a cause?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1