Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl spitting food

AxieFrankie

Reaction score
Hi! My axolotl adult female luecistic axolotl named Frankie is having trouble eating. She looks hungry and whenever I put my hand in the tank to move something or whatever, she always thinks its food and wants it. Whenever it really is food though, she eats it then almost immediately spits it out. At first, she went through a stage where she wouldn’t even eat it first! So I stopped feeding her for a while. I feed her axolotl pallets from the brand BluePlanet. I am not sure why she is spitting her food back out. The tank temperature is normally 28 or 29ºC during midday and afternoon, and normally at 25 or 24ºC mornings and nights. I am aware that this a bit high for an Axolotl, but this is the temperature she was raised in her whole life, so I am not too concerned about it. Frankie has also been quite stressed lately. I was thinking that could be part of the reason she is not eating properly. I need help. Frankie also has her front left leg missing and her front right leg broken, and I was thinking that might be part of the problem but most likely not, so I am not quite sure on that. I need to know what to do, please help me. It would be really appreciated. 🥺

granny.izz

Reaction score
Hey there!
28º - 29ºc is definitely too high of a temperature even if she has been raised at that temperature her whole life. You can try to bring down the temperature to 18ºc ideally. Using frozen plastic water bottles (give them a rinse beforehand and dechlorinate the water in case of a leak) and just replacing them every hour, look into purchasing a chiller as that high of a temperature is very extreme. Aquarium hang-on fans may also help. I get that Australia is very brutal with heat. For sure try to bring that temperature down and keep it down, nice and stable as that is probably part of the reason why she's so stressed.
What are your water parameters? Does she have any tank mates? What caused her legs to go missing and break?

AxieFrankie

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the advise! I’ve started putting iced water bottles in the tank and I am currently looking on ebay, amazon and any local fish stores for an (affordable 😅) chiller. Frankie has no tankmates now, but she did back when we purchased her from the fish shop, and I am thinking perhaps the other axolotls ate her leg. But I still am unsure on how her other leg broke. I have just ordered a testing kit to test the water parameters 👍

Thanks for the help!
AxieFrankie

The-Axolotl

Reaction score
Hello, I think your axolotl might not be eating because it is stressed out about the heat, 29 is way to hot so is 25, I understand it would be hard to keep the tank cool because you are in Australia, so am I but here is what I do to keep the tank cold. I put frozen ice packs on the outside of the tank against the glass and change them every 30 mins to an hour. You could also have a fan that blows onto the waters surface because that moves the water around, helping to keep it cool, on Ebay there are quite a few cheap tank coolers or you could have a look at Bunnings, your local pet shop, ect. She may also be spitting the food out because she doesn't like it, you could try feeding your axolotl bloodworms/earthworms or possibly try frozen axolotl food. As for her broken leg, is there anything sharp/pointy in the tank or stuff like that because axolotls can have delicate skin. Hope this helps -The-Axolotl

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
How's Frankie doing? Would love to hear more about her. Hopefully, she's doing well. She looks super cute.

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
Based on the fact that OP was well aware that the temperatures were too high for an axolotl and that OP kept her axolotl at those temperatures anyway, I am thinking this does fall under a violation of animal cruelty laws in her area of Australia which is Queensland. The penalty includes up to a 3-year prison sentence.

I believe the instance here can be reported to appropriate Queensland authorities here:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1