Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl spots- normal or should we be concerned???

Hapydizzy

Reaction score
Our 2 year old axolotl, Axl, developed these spots some time ago. At first we assumed that they were just variation in pigmentation (and they may be) but we want to be sure that they aren’t a fungal or bacterial infection. They don’t look like the classic white raised cottony fungus I’ve seen pictured online and are not raised. We had what appeared to be a bacterial bloom awhile back and we are still struggling to get the water conditions cleared. I’m headed to get his water tested now so can update our water stats shortly. The pictures make it look white than it appears in person where it seems to have more of a gray appearance (almost as though he is missing freckling or darker pigment). He seems to be active and eating normally. Any thoughts? Should we be concerned, and if so, what would you recommend as treatment. He is my son’s prized possession but truly our family pet and we love him so much that we don’t want to take any chances!

Hapydizzy

Reaction score
Post pictures soon. Wild type axolotls often have lighter, reflective spots that are completely normal.
So sorry- I’m new to the forum and accidentally posted twice. Once with pics and once without. I couldn’t figure out how to delete the duplicate!! Here are some pics of him. Also to add since yesterday, our water quality tested perfect as far as pH, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites.

Attachments

• 966FCE72-C132-42B3-BBE6-6A8CD82407D2.jpeg
    966FCE72-C132-42B3-BBE6-6A8CD82407D2.jpeg
    699.9 KB · Views: 412
  • E13EFD41-5ADA-4547-8F41-FAF56CCF471A.jpeg
    E13EFD41-5ADA-4547-8F41-FAF56CCF471A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 192
  • CDAE7D57-CC88-43D3-8413-A10620C4842A.jpeg
    CDAE7D57-CC88-43D3-8413-A10620C4842A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 235

ellarose

Reaction score
So sorry- I’m new to the forum and accidentally posted twice. Once with pics and once without. I couldn’t figure out how to delete the duplicate!! Here are some pics of him. Also to add since yesterday, our water quality tested perfect as far as pH, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites.
As long as they aren’t raised or growing he looks happy and healthy!

Aleahsaxolotls

Reaction score
Mine is the same
Type as yours! It has developed a lot of spots just as u described an looked
Like yours a dark with just a couple and now it’s all over . I hope it’s not a problem and he’s now even more on his sides

I’m having a propblem
With his collage atm and I’ve been able to fix it in the past but , it all started when I did more water changes, maybe the chlorine ? But I put chlorine water fixer in so. I need to know the good ranges on the water testing kit. Where should my numbers be for nitrate and ammonia?

Attachments

• A8ABFEEB-0085-465B-828E-CCBEF7ED2C0E.jpeg
    A8ABFEEB-0085-465B-828E-CCBEF7ED2C0E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 182
  • 5FE788A9-039A-4955-B1B9-BB4969ECF791.jpeg
    5FE788A9-039A-4955-B1B9-BB4969ECF791.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 149
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1