Axolotl stopped eating

LuigiB

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
One of my Axolotls recently stopped eating and I'm getting worried. After we returned from Holiday 2 weeks back, temperature was on the high end (+/- 24 Celsius), but the last 2 weeks I've kept it stable on +/- 20 degrees with a JBL cooler and frozen water bottles . Quality of the water is ok. Unfortunately, one of my axolotlts refuses to eat. In the beginning she (or he?) was still trying to and took the pellets and earth worms, but she always spat it out immediately. Now she even doesn't try to eat it. If I put a worm in front of her, she just turns around and swims away. This is now almost ongoing for 2 weeks, so I'm getting really worried about her. I don't see anything abnormal on her, so I don't really have any idea what is wrong.

Currently thinking of isolating her and putting her in the cellar where I will easily be able to get a stable water temperature of 18 degrees.

Any idea what might be wrong? Does somebody recognizes some sign of disease/stress/... on the pictures? Is isolating her with a daily water change a good idea?

Attachments

• IMG_9641.jpg
    IMG_9641.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_9642.jpg
    IMG_9642.jpg
    662.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9643.jpg
    IMG_9643.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9644.jpg
    IMG_9644.jpg
    711.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 2483f5f9-e5a3-4f31-ad48-c71aa60aeb0c.jpg
    2483f5f9-e5a3-4f31-ad48-c71aa60aeb0c.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 66
her gills are nice and red so there's plenty of oxygen and there's no sign of anaemia, there's no hook/kink in tail or overly forwardly facing gills neither is her back raised so no outward signs of stress, the redness leads me to think it could be heat related.

It's possible that 20C is a little too warm for her sensitivities so your idea to move her seems a good idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back