Axolotl Tail Damage

cate_el

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys,
When I got my axolotl, he had a small notch in his tail. Since then, I’ve noticed the damage seems to be getting worse. The top of his tail almost looks like it’s folding over, and there’s another new notch.
He’s eating perfectly and swimming around just as normal. Nothing seems off about him.
Can anybody tell me what’s happening? And how to solve it (if I need to take action)? Here’s a picture from a few days ago.
D14119CE-CC70-40E0-B7D5-09020E53D335.jpeg

AE4E76EB-2135-4645-8933-55486A6D5025.png

Thank you!

Last edited:
Folded fins is generally water quality.

Have you tested your tank with a liquid test kit?
temp
ph
high range ph
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate

Folded fins is generally water quality.

Have you tested your tank with a liquid test kit?
temp
ph
high range ph
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate

Yep! The temp fluctuates between 60 degrees F and 64 degrees F. The ph is within the 7.4-7.6 range. ammonia is 0. nitrite and nitrate are around 0-0.5. I’m currently adding in good bacteria biweekly to see if that improves my nitrite/nitrate levels.
As far as my water tests go, I tested them almost every day for the past week and everything seems normal and within range.

What test kit are you using because some are highly inaccurate.

How long has the tank been set up?
Ive gone to Petsmart to have them test it, and have been using API test strips 5 in 1. The tank has been set up for almost a month now.

PLEASE - Buy your own liquid test kit and throw the strips away they are horribly inaccurate.

Its not fungus at all. Its water quality 100%

Ive gone to Petsmart to have them test it, and have been using API test strips 5 in 1. The tank has been set up for almost a month now.

PLEASE - Buy your own liquid test kit and throw the strips away they are horribly inaccurate.

Its not fungus at all. Its water quality 100%
So whats the difference between the liquid test kit I bought and am using now compared to one online? like do you have a recommendation of one in specific I should use? I look up liquid test kit and the same one I’m using right now pops up.

So whats the difference between the liquid test kit I bought and am using now compared to one online? like do you have a recommendation of one in specific I should use? I look up liquid test kit and the same one I’m using right now pops up.
What liquid test kit are u using? And u said u are using test strips.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back