Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl tail end fungus?

PobBob

Reaction score
Axolotl is now 7 and I've just noticed the end of his tail is white and disintegrating. I tested the water and I need to bring the pH up and the N03 down. I can't get a pic as he's curled up in his jug and pulled his tail in. Any tips at all? Tank is 90l and I have a big external pump.

fishkid

Reaction score
is the discolouration fuzzy/fluffy or does it just look like colouring? what morph is the axololt? and what are your exact parameters?

PobBob

Reaction score
is the discolouration fuzzy/fluffy or does it just look like colouring? what morph is the axololt? and what are your exact parameters?
White and see through and a bit like it's about to fall off. I test the water with strips so I'll get a photo
The only problem I seem to have with the water is the NO3. NO2 is at zero. PH about 7.2 CL2 0-0.8 so added more water safe.
Tail looks like the end is going white and bits will come off. Hes hiding in his jug at the moment. He's a leucistic one.

fishkid

Reaction score
White and see through and a bit like it's about to fall off. I test the water with strips so I'll get a photo

The only problem I seem to have with the water is the NO3. NO2 is at zero. PH about 7.2 CL2 0-0.8 so added more water safe.
Tail looks like the end is going white and bits will come off. Hes hiding in his jug at the moment. He's a leucistic one.
are you able to get an image of the tail when he leave the jug, maybe nudge him a little to get him to move? sounds more like an injury than fungus. what is your ammonia at? and what number is NO3 at? do you have any sharp ornaments or anything in the tank that he could have gotten scratched on?

PobBob

Reaction score
are you able to get an image of the tail when he leave the jug, maybe nudge him a little to get him to move? sounds more like an injury than fungus. what is your ammonia at? and what number is NO3 at? do you have any sharp ornaments or anything in the tank that he could have gotten scratched on?

Attachments

• PXL_20211120_194546579.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211120_194546579.PORTRAIT.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 461

PobBob

Reaction score
NO3 looks about 50. Tails white stuff fallen off. Does it look like it's healing?

PobBob

Reaction score
NO3 looks about 50. Tails white stuff fallen off. Does it look like it's healing?
Nothing sharp in the tank. Only things are the pretend plant bases, his smooth jug and a slate it sits on

fishkid

Reaction score
doesn't look like fungus. Fungus is white and fluffy and looks like a foreign object as opposed to part of the skin. This looks like an injury to me, the white stuff appears to be just peeling of the slime coat/skin from the injured site. keep an eye on it but it should heal up just fine. to eliminate stress and reduce the risk of infection you definitely want to do a pretty large water change to get those nitrates down. is there any tank mates or do you think he may have managed to get it stuck somewhere? he may have just gotten spooked and thrashed around too much and ripped it, sometimes that happens.

PobBob

Reaction score
doesn't look like fungus. Fungus is white and fluffy and looks like a foreign object as opposed to part of the skin. This looks like an injury to me, the white stuff appears to be just peeling of the slime coat/skin from the injured site. keep an eye on it but it should heal up just fine. to eliminate stress and reduce the risk of infection you definitely want to do a pretty large water change to get those nitrates down. is there any tank mates or do you think he may have managed to get it stuck somewhere? he may have just gotten spooked and thrashed around too much and ripped it, sometimes that happens.
Thanks for all your help. No he doesn't have tank mates so I'm guessing he's done it in some way himself. I'll do a decent water change today and keep an eye out on the tail. Maybe real plants would help the tank water in future? Moss balls maybe?

fishkid

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. No he doesn't have tank mates so I'm guessing he's done it in some way himself. I'll do a decent water change today and keep an eye out on the tail. Maybe real plants would help the tank water in future? Moss balls maybe?
you're welcome! Plants definitely help to keep the nitrates low, just be careful with moss balls, make sure they are bigger than the axolotl's head or there is a chance it could get stuck in it's mouth, some axolotls also just enjoy smashing them so that's something to keep in mind too haha.

PobBob

Reaction score
you're welcome! Plants definitely help to keep the nitrates low, just be careful with moss balls, make sure they are bigger than the axolotl's head or there is a chance it could get stuck in it's mouth, some axolotls also just enjoy smashing them so that's something to keep in mind too haha.
I'll get a giant one 😬

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1