Axolotl tank size

Gloriak26

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Ok someone please settle this for me once and for all! When I started reading into axolotls many internet threads (even Wikipedia) suggested that an axolotl needs at least 10 gallons of water. I was surprised because I’d say that was fairly small(my betta is in a 10 gallon tank). Then after reading some more, people were saying the bare minimum was 20 gallons for an adult. Then 15-20 would be fine! Just a little while ago I just read from someone that they wouldn’t house an axolotl in less than 30 gallons and that 16 is too small. Now, I know that the bigger is always the better of course, but everyone seems to have a different opinion. Please share your opinions on this and feel free to share your tanks’ sizes too, because honestly it’s kind of disheartening to have researched so much into axolotls and then someone comes along and says “you’re doing it wrong”. Will my axolotl die a horrible death in less than 30 gallons? I mean I know they are messy and you have to keep a close eye on the water parameters but if you are consistent with water changes I don’t see where the problem is.
Sorry for the rant 😛 just needed to get this off my chest!

I think the consensus around here is a minimum of 20 gallons for the first axolotl, and then a minimum of 10 gallons more for each additional axolotl.
I would say 16 is indeed too small, on the long term. They can easily survive in that (even their entire lives), but the quality of life would just be... less optimal.

It also depends on the tank shape. Axolotls tend to live horizontally, so a flat, broad aquarium will be of more use than a narrow high aquarium.

Since you asked, I have four axolotls in about 95 gallons.

Ok someone please settle this for me once and for all! When I started reading into axolotls many internet threads (even Wikipedia) suggested that an axolotl needs at least 10 gallons of water. I was surprised because I’d say that was fairly small(my betta is in a 10 gallon tank). Then after reading some more, people were saying the bare minimum was 20 gallons for an adult. Then 15-20 would be fine! Just a little while ago I just read from someone that they wouldn’t house an axolotl in less than 30 gallons and that 16 is too small. Now, I know that the bigger is always the better of course, but everyone seems to have a different opinion. Please share your opinions on this and feel free to share your tanks’ sizes too, because honestly it’s kind of disheartening to have researched so much into axolotls and then someone comes along and says “you’re doing it wrong”. Will my axolotl die a horrible death in less than 30 gallons? I mean I know they are messy and you have to keep a close eye on the water parameters but if you are consistent with water changes I don’t see where the problem is.
Sorry for the rant 😛 just needed to get this off my chest!
as Murk said, 20 gallons is the bare minimum; 20 gallon long tank to be precise. They need more floor space than they do height. The actual water volume helps to stabilize your water chemistry (more water means more waste dilution), but the floor space is better for them moving around. I find that even with 20 gallon tanks, you quickly feel like they are outgrowing it. For my permanent resident adult tanks, I have 4 males in a 75 gallon and i have 3 small females in a 36 (both soon to be upgraded). 40 breeders tend to be a popular tank because they are wider and shallower. Proper filtration and being diligent with water changes (and testing your water weekly) will help prevent issues regardless of tank size. The way I look at it is this, could they survive in a 10 gallon? probably. But will they THRIVE in a 10 gallon? No. Our job as axie parents is to make sure our animals thrive, not just survive

Thank you both for your answers! I ended up with a 16 gallon (it's actually 16.5 but eh, whatever) because where I live variety is scarce in aquariums and for the life of me I could not find a 20 long (even online! ), so I opted for the next, smaller, longest. I do want my axolotl to thrive and live their best life! That's why it saddens me to think I am not giving him a nice comfy tank. But, firstly after the work and money I put into setting up his current tank I honestly don't have it in me (or my wallet :p ) to set up a complete new one at the very present. Secondly, I don't have the space for a longer tank (I actually came across a very good price for a 25 gallon but I have nowhere to fit it! ). But, within the next year I wil be moving eventually and an upgrade for my little friend will be a must! Hopefully I can give him a comfortable life until then! :giggle: As long as I keep his water quality in good condition I hope he can be healthy and lively!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back