Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl territory or home range in the wild?

axonature

Reaction score
Is there information available on the axolotl behaviour in the wild concerning the size of their territory or home range? Do they mainly live in the same place or move around? Do they change locations eg. moving to new areas for reproduction or stay where they were born? Has this been studied by tracking wild animals and their movements?

I'm trying to figure out what is the basis for recommendations for axolotl tank sizes. My tank is 60cm x 200cm and the axolotls move around a lot and are very interested when something changes in the tank. Makes me wonder how would they behave if they had a whole lake to explore..

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
"Because known populations are few and far between, very little is known about the ecology and natural history of A. mexicanum; there have been few ecological studies on wild populations."
https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Ambystoma_mexicanum/

this site has a lot of info, including that quote explaining why we dont really know for sure how they used to behave in nature.
:( so much information lost... its a pity

axonature

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I had not seen that website before. I've understood that some projects have now started to microchip axolotls? Maybe that will help to get more information on their behavior in the wild as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1