Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl toes disintegrating!

DamienG

Reaction score
I left for vacation to Oregon. Before leaving I tested the water in all my aquariums. Everything seemed on the up and up.
When I came back from vacation after a week, I noticed my Axolotl's toes had worn down and disintegrated slightly. At first I had assumed maybe he was regrowing a toe that I had missed get injured at one point. Until this started happening to all of his feet. Now all of his toes have shrank and the skin has eroded away to reveal the bone which also erodes away. I looked into it and found nothing that anyone has said to cure the problem.
Please help! Thank you.

Attachments

• 20200716_191130.jpg
    20200716_191130.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 375
  • 20200716_191140.jpg
    20200716_191140.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 168
  • 20200716_191143.jpg
    20200716_191143.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 200

DamienG

Reaction score
I keep my house at 72 degrees. I'm assuming the tank water runs about the same. The water quality is good. No nitrites or ammonia. Nitrates are at 50ppm which may be a bit high. I do water changes and my tap water is at 50ppm nitrates.
The rock may be a but rough. It's just random rock from an valley near my house.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Okay water needs to be 58-68 max, What conditioner do you use? any plants to help with the nitrates?

the nitrates, temp and rock possibly abrading are likely culprits

DamienG

Reaction score
Here is everything I'm gonna do to try and solve those issues. I purchased an aquarium fan and have it hooked up. I'll check the temperature after it runs for a few hours. If necessary I'll purchase more. I'm going to quarantine the axolotl out of the aquarium with his own fans as well to lower his temperature and get him out of the tank rough rock and into a smooth plastic bottom quarantine container. The water in the quarantine container and the original aquarium will be switched out with spring water I'm going to buy from the store. I will be sure to acclimate the axolotl accordingly every step of the way. I will also sand down the rocks in his aquarium to smooth them down. If that doesn't work, I will replace them.

DamienG

Reaction score
My axolotl has destroyed every plant I've put into the tank except two small Anubis plants barely clingng to life.

DamienG

Reaction score
I got the temperature in the tank much lower now with the aquatic fan I purchased, (great buy). Its at 67 degrees now. I removed all the rocks from the tank so it is now just a sandy bottom with driftwood. I got the nitrates lowered to 20ppm with a few water changes, and I'll monitor it closely.
The water conditioner I use is called Stress-coat by API.
I also added 3 huge Almond Leaves to the tank to release healthy tannins and hopefully accelerate the healing process of my axolotl. As well as remove any fungus if that was the original cause.

I will post the results and updates here.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Everything sounds great for water chemistry !
I think your lotl will heal up and be very happy!!

Stress coat contains aloe so watch for breathing and slime coat issues as aloe can cause issues.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I got the temperature in the tank much lower now with the aquatic fan I purchased, (great buy). Its at 67 degrees now. I removed all the rocks from the tank so it is now just a sandy bottom with driftwood. I got the nitrates lowered to 20ppm with a few water changes, and I'll monitor it closely.
The water conditioner I use is called Stress-coat by API.
I also added 3 huge Almond Leaves to the tank to release healthy tannins and hopefully accelerate the healing process of my axolotl. As well as remove any fungus if that was the original cause.

I will post the results and updates here.
I use stress coat and it works great! Like Calagary said though, some people have had issues with it, I think it’s an allergy thing? I haven’t done any research on the science behind that, I’m sure Calgary knows though. You can also use tea for tannins, or after I boil driftwood from the store I pour the water, after it’s cooled, into plastic water bottles that are almost or are finished. I just keep them or just soak my axie in them form time to time if I see she’s stressed about something, and it’s just generally good for them.
Edit: I’ve switched over to prime!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1