Axolotl turned completely white

Papalotl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am hoping for some advice. I have 3 axolotls, all young. When I got them two arrived first (one big, one small) and the third one arrived two weeks later (size is in the middle of the other two). The first two have been done by really well. When the third one arrived it’s gills were noticeably more turned forwards than the other two (though his tail it straight). I expected this to change one he settled in.

Over the last couple of days he has turned completely white. Today he seems to have lost his appetite and is flushing his gills a lot. The other two are absolutely fine.

There are plenty of hiding spots in the 200 litre tank and I have a sand substrate. Water temp is 18c and all the tests show the levels are fine (no ammonia/chlorine, normal ph etc). I have been weening them slowly on to earthworms, but still feeding bloodworms and brine shrimp. I don’t believe he is constipated so have not gone down the fridging route.

Behaviour wise the middle one often swims to the surface and takes a mouthful of air and then floats (when it wants to go down it lets air out) I have also seen the smallest one pick on the middle one. Since to biggest one and the smallest one seem to get on well and are often together, I do wonder if it is possible that the middle one is depressed (is that possible for axies?). Other than that I wondered about anaemia, but would have expected the others to have similar symptoms.

Anyway, if anyone has had a similar experience with their axis going all white, I would appreciate any advice. Photos attached show him last week and today.

Attachments

• D63C7EEE-8257-46B7-9581-6910B4695B5B.jpg
    D63C7EEE-8257-46B7-9581-6910B4695B5B.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 805
  • AA6F8233-6F37-4EB1-9ABD-D8A32478BD9F.jpg
    AA6F8233-6F37-4EB1-9ABD-D8A32478BD9F.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 1,155
This is really odd! Whatever variable that is causing these changes and behaviors has to be coming from the individual itself. Perhaps your axolotl is anemic? Anemia occurs in axolotls. But I'm not a veterinarian, so its just as possible that your axie is completely healthy. If they're eating well and and looks fine besides its color, I wouldn't worry much. I've had betta fish in the past that slowly turned opposite colors as part of their genetics. Even though axolotls are amphibians and not fish, something of that nature has to have a chance of occurrence. I say you've got a special animal! Please keep posted with growth and development and any other concerns :)

Also, try cutting up earthworms really small and try feeding them. Blood worms aren't great nutrition, so if your axolotl is anemic, earthworms will probably correct and iron deficiencies.

Thanks Krispy!

I have tried chopping upbearthworms really small. He has had a couple of pieces. It’s a bit early to tell anything yet.

I think i am going to set up a quarantine tank so I can better monitor pooping just to make sure it isn’t constipation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back