Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl turned pure white

Mimi6fong

Reaction score
One of my axols turned pure white. I've never had this happen before. Im super worried. I immediately fed some pellets to see if she would eat and she did! She is moving around a little and continued to eat but after 10min she is still the same color. Just seems a little slow. Anyone else experience this?

She lives with 3 other axols in a 50 gallon tank. She is around a year old. Fed every other day bloodworms, pellets and Earthworms. I get 5gallon spring water delivered every month to change out a third of the water.

Attachments

• 20200219_235124.jpg
    20200219_235124.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 611
  • 20200219_235136.jpg
    20200219_235136.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 537

Murk

Reaction score
Uh, what colour did she used to be?
If she was always leucistic, and you're just concerned about the pale gills - don't worry. It just means she's relaxed.
If she was an entirely different colour, then... Well, that would be very interesting indeed.

Kitan

Reaction score
Going a lighter shade of pink is pretty common, but that pale...likely means something is wrong, unfortunately, especially if they are that pale most of the time and dont darken a lot with activity. Things that can cause anemia (the pale gills) include soft water, stress caused by flowing water, and bacterial infections.

5 gallons of spring water in a 50 gallon tank works out to 10% water change once a month, which is drastically insufficient for axolotls; they are SUPER messy little buggers and need a 30% water change weekly. Spring water should be relatively hard, so I expect it is bacterial or stress. So for suggestions, I would take a full set of measurements on your water quality and then fix accordingly. By full I mean I would test ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and water hardness.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Murk

Reaction score
Going a lighter shade of pink is pretty common, but that pale...likely means something is wrong, unfortunately, especially if they are that pale most of the time and dont darken a lot with activity.

Oh, very true. If this keeps up, it's reason to worry. If it's a one-time thing for an hour or so, I wouldn't worry. But yeah, long-term I fully agree.

5 gallons of spring water in a 50 gallon tank works out to 10% water change once a month, which is drastically insufficient for axolotls

This really depends on the rest of the tank, the filter, if it's planted, and how much hand-on cleaning is done (scooping poops etc.) Having said that:
So for suggestions, I would take a full set of measurements on your water quality and then fix accordingly.

Fully agree! Best advice.

Kitan

Reaction score
This really depends on the rest of the tank, the filter, if it's planted, and how much hand-on cleaning is done (scooping poops etc.)

Kiiiiinda of? It is clearly very well filtered as that water is pristine, but to have a tank planted well enough to handle nitrates with only 10% monthly changes? It would have to be fully aquascaped and the tank would have to have been fully cycled to handle large waste loads. Even with poop cleaning, 'lotls urinate :p From the picture, I can be certain it doesnt have enough plants to pull it off.

That said, I DO agree with Murk. TECHNICALLY it is possible to have to do less water changes....but you have to be a freakin master at aquascaping. Certainly a skill I dont possess :p

Murk

Reaction score
Eh, fair enough.
I always try to counterweigh the idea that axolotls are high-maintenance pets, because they don't need to be.
On this one you're probably right, though.

Mimi6fong

Reaction score
Thank y'all for all this helpful information.
Luckily she returned back to her normal colors after 30min.
I'll definitely be increasing the water change amount to keep the water safe.
Follow up question. How often do I need to change the canister filter beads?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1