Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl turning salamander??

Enutile1124

Reaction score
So here's the situation. A friend of mine bought two axolotls three or four years ago. When they lay eggs she gave two to me. They are about to turn 2 years old. July of last year my 2 laid eggs that I raised up and have been selling. I had given 2 back to her about a month ago to add to her collection. They both went in the same tank after acclimating. One is thriving in her tank and the other started to lose its gills after about a week. She put him into a separate tub so she could more closely monitor and since then his gills have completely regressed and he now sits with his head out of the water. I have revived a few axolotls who had minimal to no gills from poor water quality but this is very different. (His entire shape is different. He is not gulping air like the others would. Attached is a photo of how he is holding his head.

She brought him back to me yesterday and I'm slowly changing him back over to my water and put some River stones in the tub so that he can more easily stick his head out of the water if you would like. I have ordered some Exo Terra plantation soil but have no idea how to take care of a salamander. I know husbandry and water parameters are crucial for taking care of any exotic species.

Can axolotls turn into salamanders? And if so how do I care for the salamander that was once an axolotl? I attached photos of what he used to look like and 2 of what he is now.

Attachments

• 20210217_170351.jpg
    20210217_170351.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,016
  • 20210217_190953.jpg
    20210217_190953.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 303
  • Screenshot_20210217-191534_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210217-191534_Messages.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 322
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1