Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

axolotl turns into turtle!??!1!?1?!

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
my lovely girl, on her last night in my house, discovered she could fit into her coconut shell
FB52801D-DF53-4CE7-9B99-A8A4113BC854.jpeg

AkemiYousei

Reaction score
it’s alright, she’s in a great home :)
she went through a lot before, so i nursed her back to health for about a year then rehomed her
That's lovely. She was lucky to find you. Rescuing can definitely be hard. My friend is a notorious foster fail, and I am the same way the few times I was able to foster. Lol.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
That's lovely. She was lucky to find you. Rescuing can definitely be hard. My friend is a notorious foster fail, and I am the same way the few times I was able to foster. Lol.
she was routinely abused and neglected by my zoology teacher. he never did it in front of me but other students have told me he would take them out of the tank and force them to try to walk on the lab tables (which, keep in mind, had been coated in sanitization chemicals) apparently they just flopped about “like fish” he also would be very rough with them during water changed, going as far as to hit her when she bit her tankmate. both of which had severe fungus and a destroyed slime coat, as well as ammonia poisoning. i played nice and asked if i could take them for the summer, just so he wouldn’t have to, when i had already decided he would never see them again. when he was teaching me how to care for them, he dropped a decoration on the other axolotls tail, clean cutting it off. they were also fed a diet of just bloodworms, so i fed them earthworms in secret. after about a year of healing, they are doing much better.
im proud for them to be in their new home, especially with someone who can give them even more attention than i could.
:)

AkemiYousei

Reaction score
she was routinely abused and neglected by my zoology teacher. he never did it in front of me but other students have told me he would take them out of the tank and force them to try to walk on the lab tables (which, keep in mind, had been coated in sanitization chemicals) apparently they just flopped about “like fish” he also would be very rough with them during water changed, going as far as to hit her when she bit her tankmate. both of which had severe fungus and a destroyed slime coat, as well as ammonia poisoning. i played nice and asked if i could take them for the summer, just so he wouldn’t have to, when i had already decided he would never see them again. when he was teaching me how to care for them, he dropped a decoration on the other axolotls tail, clean cutting it off. they were also fed a diet of just bloodworms, so i fed them earthworms in secret. after about a year of healing, they are doing much better.
im proud for them to be in their new home, especially with someone who can give them even more attention than i could.
😨😨😨😨 It is so horrifying to think a zoology professor would be like that. Poor things. But also what a wonderful thing you did. Happy to hear they have a happy ending.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
😨😨😨😨 It is so horrifying to think a zoology professor would be like that. Poor things. But also what a wonderful thing you did. Happy to hear they have a happy ending.
he got fired, thankfully. not because of that though. interestingly, he inspired me to become a zoologist myself - i want to prove to myself i wont ever be like him

faebugz

Reaction score
The world needs more Dexter's for people like him

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
missing my old girl, looked through this thread and missed her more. probably going to visit her soon, apparently she’s being just as much as a bully now as she was before

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1