Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl vacation question

M

maria

Sorry to be a pain,
My previous message does not seem to have appeared. It was regarding going away for a week, i have 2 axys which i normally feed alternate days, hand fed. Nobody about to feed them, any suggestions on something i could buy. i.e. a block like fish have. Is there any substitute? Patch.

L

leighton

We have a couple of automatic feeders (essentially clockwork) into which we put dry food - pellets and the like - when we go away anywhere. They're fine for short periods of 3-4 days. We've not been anywhere longer - there might be issues with going away for longer. They're available at aquarium stores for about £10-20 in the UK.

We tried a dissolving block once, but it didn't dissolve much, and we think the axolotls went hungry.

M

maria

Any more info / help with the matter of feeding my 2 axy's whilst away for a week, greatly appreciated.

K

katy

Can you use feeder fish? Perhaps put enough in there to keep them happy for a week - but do a test first and make sure they'll eat them before you go. Could be risky if you're not sure if the fish will attack the axys, though.

K

kaysie

Find a friend to feed them.

Or if you're only going for a week, feed them really well before you leave and they should be fine (as long as it's not too warm).

S

sharon

Maria, buy an automatic feeder. I think there is one for 5 days....

Here you go, article and items all in one....

LINK: http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/feeding_fish_2.htm

Failing those items, hire a professional pet sitter. There are just so many things that can go wrong with tanks although axos, being a "non finicky" creature stands up under the abuse better than say my green eel and a heater w/a short did!!!

Good luck,
Sharon

M

maria

Thanks for the advise,
Temp should be okay, it is really hot and sunny here today, and tank between 20 and 22, highest it has been. They are in coolest room of house which doesn't get sun. Was thinking of asking friend or neighbour, but as i always hand feed them, nobody else is too keen, they think i'm mad when i say how sweet and lovely my axys are! They expect a cuddly, fluffy kitten or something.
Thanks for help, Patch

J

jennifer

If they were newts, I would say for sure they will be fine without any feeding for 1 week. But I have no personal experience with axolotls.

If you get a long tweezers or hemostat, the friend or neighbor probably wouldn't mind using that instead of fingers. Maybe even chopsticks, if they are adept with those.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If you feed heavy before you leave they should be fine for a week without food. If they are not adults I would separate them. They might decide to eat feet and legs if they get hungry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1