Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl water treatment.

Phheoniix

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been using still water for my axolotl. As he's young and he's in a bowl. I'd say he's about 5-6 months old. He's about 3-4 inches big. I've decided to use tap water. As carrying 5 litres of water every few days up a big hill is annoying to say the least.

So I've moved on to tap water. I don't know how good the solution I am using is. I tried it once and he almost died, I realised in time and changed the solution. The one I am using now is:

King British Safe Guard 100ml Aquarium water treatment on eBay (end time 28-Oct-10 23:03:41 BST)

It's called King British Safe Guard, and it removes harmful chlorine and chloramines, detoxifies hjeavy metals, removes exess ammonia. It notes that it contains sodium thiosulpate, EDTA, sodium sulphite and Aloe Vera.

If anyone could tell me if this is a good solution to use or harmful I'd really aprechiate it, if it isn't could you recommend a british one I could use.

Thanks guys - Phheoniix

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am not familiar with your particular product but it sounds fine except for the aloe vera. In my experience when I have used products containing aloe vera, I end up with a slime on EVERY thing in the tank...This slime is horrible to get rid of and it concerns me as it coats everything - the glass, the plants, the ornaments, even the inside of my filter! - so I got paranoid about what it may be doing to my axolotls and stopped using those products.

I usually recommend Prime, AmQuel+, and Aquasafe - however, I don't know if all those products are available to you...I have found Prime to be seemingly international so that may be one you could consider.

If your guy is 4in, I'd recommend setting him up in a tank with a filter, that could definitely make life a lot simpler for you...:D If you need some help in setting something like that up, just ask, somebody will help you through the whole process. As he/she gets larger, you will find that the bowl will become fouled much quicker plus they like to have room to walk around. Also, a larger filtered body of water would prove more stable for him/her once cycled...just some thoughts.

dragonlady

Reaction score
What kind of filter are you considering?

I use a zoo med 501 in a few of my tanks - it's a small canister type with a spray bar, you barely know it's running. Many use canister types that either have or can be fitted with a spray bar to disperse the outflow.

I also use hang on the back (HOB) types and buffer the output by turning down the water flow and partially blocking the "waterfall."

If you choose to use an in tank (internal) type, be aware that it could affect your temperature.

Phheoniix

Reaction score
I dont know which one I am using. Its one that came for a turtle, that I'm re using. It wont be in with the turtle. But thats the one I'm using, it hangs on the side of the tank and pushes the water around, I think its quite powerful, not to sure.

+ Will I need to add oxygen to the water with tablets or anything?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1