Axolotl white when not moving??

Covey

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Display Name
Covey
Hey guys. Today i found my golden albino axolotl (Ponyo) paler than usual when i woke up. I sorta panicked and did a 20% water change, fed her pellets, checked water parameters and temps. Once i was done with all that i noticed while she was moving to her hide she was yellow again. Why is this happening? Is this something axolotls do to camoflauge in the wild??

just like most animals at rest the blood flows slower around the body giving a pale look, once active again blood flows faster bringing colour to the skin, this is most noticeable in lighter coloured axolotls.
axolotls can suffer temporary anaemia though, this is caused by a lack of salts and minerals in the water and is most common is soft water. see Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity for more details.
it isn't a camouflage technique as light coloured axolotls such as luci's and albinos wouldn't be found in the wild, this is because they would be easy prey to any predators.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back