Axolotls banned in canada?

Bdyoung

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
TheAxolotlWhisperer
A quick search turns up nothing relevant.

It may be that Wards doesn't have (or want to deal with) the CITES aspect of Canadian trade.

I live in Nanaimo, BC Canada and I bought my Axie just over a year ago in my local pet store so I'm thinking that someone is handing out wrong info. I know of a few ppl now that have them close to where I live.

Axolotls are, by the ridiculously broad definitions in the British Columbia Wildlife Act, considered wildlife in BC, so they are technically illegal here; however, I doubt they waste their time enforcing it which is probably why you can still buy them all over the place, at least on Vancouver Island.

I live in Ontario and they have axolotls in the local fish pet shops...in fact, I'm going to look at a few tomorrow... :) thinking of buying one...

Axolotls are illegal as wildlife in the following provinces from reading their laws. BC, PEI, NS and NB.

Completely legal in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba (aside from Winnipeg), Ontario, Quebec and NFLD is questionable.

There was just a confiscation in Prince George BC this week so they are going after people.

I breed in Alberta

They are banned here in Virginia unfortunately. Began to wonder why I couldn’t find them anywhere....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back