Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls don’t like each other?

reaboyer

Reaction score
I have had two axolotl’s for over 6 months or so. I have kept them in different tanks because one was smaller, around two weeks ago they became close enough in size to be housed together.
I put both of them together and haven’t had any problems with them biting each other, but they used to be really lively and swim around their tanks a lot when they were alone. Now they barely move at all. They just sit on oppose sides of the tanks, I know the tank size is big enough for two axolotls so that isn’t the problem.
Is it possible for axolotls to just not like each other, are they even smart enough for that? They seem depressed :/

wolfen

Reaction score
be aware you have doubled the bio-load in the tank, keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite levels.
have they any hides/caves
because they are mostly nocturnal they will be mostly active at night, as they get older they will be less active during the day.
provided they are fed enough and they aren't aggressive to each other then I wouldn't worry about it.
they are smart enough to dislike each other but they are also smart enough to tolerate.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Separate them. They don’t need or like companionship.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1