Axolotls fighting

evelyn_003

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two axolotls a leucistic and wild type (marshmallow and spinach). I raised them from eggs (in a college class) so they are pretty much the exact same age and have never had more than maybe 1/8 inch apart in between their sizes, marshmallow's usually only being the slightest bit smaller. They have lived in a tank together for the whole six months of their lives and have never fought (even when others pairs in the class have). Today I saw them fighting and upon closer inspection saw that Marshmallow had bitten off Spinach's left hand and bit their right. I immediately separated them (one is just in a container with water I am cycling every couple of hours until morning when I can buy another tank and filter) but am curious about any insight on what could have caused this out-of-character fighting. Should I work on eventually introducing them back into the same tank (when they are bigger?)? Thank you!

Axolotl will bite each other and damage one another. It may be something as simple as a sudden movement will cause them to bite. I've noticed when feeding th I may happen as they mistake them for moving food. I had mine in a big tank with lots and lots of live plants and caves and this greatly reduced missing parts. As they got older the nippiness episodes more or less stopped.

Could also have been caused by them being a bit hungrier than usual. If the feeding schedule has been consistent, I would look at temperatures. Generally speaking, the higher the temp, the higher their metabolism. If you have had a recent temperature hike, I would probably credit that

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back