Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls heat stress

ember20

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have been doing abit of research into keeping axolotls and am hoping to get some in the next few months :D
But I just have one concern at the moment...heat stress.
I have read that axolotls are uncomfortale being kept at temperatures consistently over 25C and just wondered if many axolotl keepers out there find this a major problem. As the summers where I am can be reasonably warm (midlands UK) and ofcourse wouldnt want any future pets to be unhappy.
Thanks in advance
Ember20

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
Yes it can be a problem I found that I was unable to keep my five Axolotls inside last summer and found that the coolest place for them was the side of the house away from any sunshine.
They are very tough little chaps and do not mind the cold winters though I put my tank inside my shed for the winter as the house was too hot. They are certainly more a creature of cold water.

Minniechild

Reaction score
British summers? As an Aussie, a really big fan directed onto the tank (And if you aim it at yourself, you get a two-for-one deal), and put a waterbottle in to initially drop the temp. Be warned, water bottles will last approx 45 minutes, so they can cause your temperature to yo-yo if you're not around/able to pull off changes every 1/2 hour!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1